Behind the curtain


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest
June 25th 2010
Published: June 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to Bucharest famous for its dark past and bleak present: brutalist architecture, glue sniffing junkies, 200,000 stray dogs and pick pockets everywhere. The main tourist attraction is the train to Istanbul/Budapest. It made sense to stop here for a night. I was not expecting much.

The city’s not without its problems but the reality is nowhere near as bad as preconceptions. Although the point about the dogs is unfortunately true I really didn’t encounter any problems (which is impressive because I literally cannot walk down the street without being mugged).

I had one full day to explore which is about enough. This is my first time in Eastern Europe so although the communist grey monstrosities everywhere may be aesthetically horrendous it’s interesting to see them. Following an earthquake in the 1970s and a visit to North Korea’s capital Ceausescu decided to mutilate large swathes of the city. Entire neighbourhoods were levelled and replaced with soviet style apartment blocks and wide avenues. There are still historic buildings dotted around the city but they’re definitely the exception rather than the rule.

The centre piece of Ceausescu’s plan is the monumental Palace of Parliament. The second largest building in the world it really has to be seen to be believed. The building is so large approaching it you just don’t feel you’re getting any closer!

Construction nearly bankrupted the Romanian government and one sixth of Bucharest was destroyed to complete this single building. It’s ridiculously ugly both inside and out but visiting is an absolute must. Designed by a 28 year old woman it’s probably the most famous buildings in the world designed by a woman.

The guided tour is excellent (and free if you’re a student). It takes you through some of the most impressive (i.e. gaudy) parts of the palace. From the balcony there’s a great view over Union Boulevard. This is where Ceausescu planned to address the masses. Fortunately with the fall of the iron curtain both Ceausescu and his wife were publicly hung before the completion of the building. The only person who did get the chance to speak from the balcony is the late Michael Jackson.

Since all the materials were already in place it was decided it would be cheaper to finish the building than to demolish it. The loss of Bucharest’s historic centre was a tragedy but what stands in its place is a poignant reminder of the city’s recent past.

I wouldn’t exactly go out of my way to visit Bucharest but visiting for a day was absolutely fascinating.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Flower-selling RomanianFlower-selling Romanian
Flower-selling Romanian

Romania's number 1 export to western Europe
Marble Staircase Marble Staircase
Marble Staircase

Rebuilt 5 times!


2nd September 2010

i am romanian. the lady with flowers was an peasant, usually a gipsy have more colored dresses, she is just an woman from an village nar bucharest i supose, and yes u think we export gipsy's but wtf they are doing only infractions.yes we don't like either but minorities must not be discriminated. and the funny part is that i didnt knew we had an ww2 memorial dedicated to americans after they destroye a lot of our econmy and beutifull buildings in ww2 raids :)

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb