Old Europe


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Bucharest
June 5th 2008
Published: July 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

My parents joined me in Romania and we spent one day in Bucharest. Enough time to see the major sights and appreciate the indelible mark Cecesceau left on the city when he destroyed swaths of historical neighborhoods in order to carve monumental boulevards and erect massive structures in a neo-classical style. An additional day was well spent wandering through the major park, people watching, drinking beer and easting ´mischi´which are grilled sausages with an indescribable hearty flavor. The Romanians like beer and enjoy summer evenings spent outside socializing whether in beer gardens scattered throughout the city or in row boats out on the local lake.

Romanian is an interesting mix of languages and among them are spanish and italian. I can read advertising and understand every 5th word when someone speaks clear & slow. Not quite enough for a gist, but just some key words. With a little effort, it was possible to learn enough to get around and make ourselves understood.

On the express bus from the airport, three men came on to check tickets and there were a couple arguments over it. The men got on like mafia, sharp in blazers and slacks, and whipped out an automated machine for writing tickets and checking balances. Two bad cops, one good cop. Everyone else on the bus was grinning and shaking their heads. I caught a few words such as: "this is not a sexual offence", " honest mistake", "i am old man". The exchange went on for several stops cell phones were furiously being dialled, and it ended with the mafia getting off and one of them hitting the passenger's window hard with the flat of his palm and saying something obscene. Didn't need a translator for that one.

We visited two regions: Bukovina and Transylvania. In both we had the good fortune of meeting and staying with some locals which allowed us an insider´s view of where the country is in its development. Our general impression of Romanians is that they are social, gregarious, and attentive in matters of business. They take pride in their appearance and are a coordinated, neat and attractive population. That said, it was surprising to find homes and restaurants not very clean or kept to the same standard as their person. In most matters, the country is slightly behind the curve on modernity and continues to struggle with corruption and overcoming the communist mentality and approach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Parliament´s Floor PlanParliament´s Floor Plan
Parliament´s Floor Plan

The floor in a main hall of the building reflects the overall floorplan of the structure
Glass and GoldGlass and Gold
Glass and Gold

Interior detail of the Parliament. Cecesceau spared no expense.
Salon with Glass RoofSalon with Glass Roof
Salon with Glass Roof

The roof was originally designed to open and create an open air space. Still works, not in use.
CityscapeCityscape
Cityscape

Bucuresti
Sweet ToothSweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth

I rediscover chocolate
Natives SingingNatives Singing
Natives Singing

These Peruvians were performing Native American music. Random.
National TheaterNational Theater
National Theater

Nightlights
12th Century Orthodox Church12th Century Orthodox Church
12th Century Orthodox Church

Under renovation, beautifully redone.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb