Painted Monastaries in Bucovina!


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Bucovina » Suceava » Suceava
July 20th 2007
Published: July 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Went on a tour to the 4 painted monastaries in Moldovia....and today is St. Elijah's day!..big thing for the Orthodox..

They are very nice! There are paintings from the outside to the inside..
Using plants..painted on plaster.....Surprised how long they last actually!! These are all very old! They have many Christian stories painted on it and some are even in unique Romanian style!! The hostel I was in the owner was ta licenced guide so she gave us a lot of information about them!!! Very interesting and I learned a lot more about Christianity indeed!
Each of these Unesco Monastaries have a theme colour....Red/Blue/Yellow, which represent the Romanian Flag! then the last one is Green, representing the green surroundings....cool ne!

They also have the famous Black Pottery here. They are coool! Very light...but strong...
too bad I can't buy and carry it around with me....
This guy bought a cup, and they didn't add a layer of like...plaster or sth in it, so it will hold water but also absorb water!.....ying!^^

Had a very nice dinner at the hostel.....but no desert tonight...=(

Have to go to Iasi, then change maxitaxis over to Moldova tomorrow......ahhh..
it sounds complicated...>_<"
But! I did find the way to get from Montenegro to Albania.....so now I can plan something actual in replacement to Macedonia!=)





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



23rd July 2007

Unusual buildings and food
That's an unusual looking monestary with all the paintings on the outside. Nice pics of the food. It's neat looking at food from other countries.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb