Shipboard Life


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
October 21st 2015
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 32.6448, -16.9097

On Saturday morning we woke early and finished our packing. We went down with our luggage for breakfast at 7-30 and ordered a taxi for 8am. We had a quick bite to eat and the cab came early so we were on our way before 8. We were driven to Victoria Coach Station from whence we were to catch a bus to Tilbury. We easily found the appropriate gate and learnt that instead of 9am the bus was now scheduled for 9-30. We settled down with our books to wait.

About 9am a young girl came around to the various groups waiting for the coach. It was easy to spot our fellow passengers; all were over 70 and had large amounts of luggage. We were told we were on Coach 3 and it would come about 9-30. 15 minutes later she was back with the news that the bus was delayed and it would now be 10am but she reassured us that the ship knew about the delay and would not leave without us.

After what seemed an interminable time we were loaded on to the 3 buses and set off for Tilbury. This took us past Westminster Abbey and Big Ben, past London Bridge and the Tower and down the Thames past the Docklands area. We could see the tall building known as The Shard on the other side of the river. It took about 90 minutes to drive to Tilbury.

Once there we were quickly processed, issued our boarding cards and after passing through security climbed the gangplank and were on board the Astor. We found our cabin, 200,on the Port side at the front of the ship. While we waited for our luggage to be delivered to the cabin we went off to explore. The ship left port at 12-45pm, nearly on time and sailed down the Thames Estuary. It was cool on deck but we watched the passing shoreline with interest. Lunch was served, a buffet which was just OK and then we bought our drinks package for the trip. This cost $A29 per person per day but it covers all beer, house wine, cocktails and soft drinks. Seeing a gin and tonic is $10-95 each and a glass of wine, $4-95 we feel we will get our money's worth. We had also been allocated a table at the first dinner sitting, 6pm. We managed to change that to the second sitting at 8-15, a much more civilised time to dine.

We unpacked, watched the Rugby in our room and then went up on deck to read and watch the world go by. Spoke to a few of our fellow passengers. Had dinner in the Waldorf restaurant, the main dining room which was good and then a couple of G&Ts in the Captains Club Bar afterwards. A good introduction to the ship.

The last three days we have settled into shipboard life. At 9-30am each morning is a General Knowledge Quiz. The first morning we went, we were joined by Steve, an Australian living in the UK and an English couple, Roger and Judy. We got 19/20 and won!! We watched the Australia v Scotland Rugby that afternoon so missed the quiz but next morning the same team assembled and we were joined by another English couple, John and Liz and we won again. We repeated that in the afternoon and then this morning we got 17/20 but lost. However, our team is now set and we have found some pleasant people to spend time with.

The food on board is very ordinary. Breakfast is fine. Each evening we are assigned the same table for two so don't meet new people but at lunchtime we are seated by the staff and have had some interesting conversations with various people, including the Art teacher on board. We are having to show restraint as we could have a four course meal at each sitting but as the presentation and quality of the food is not great it is easier to resist. The average age of passengers on board must be 75 and the food is also very old-fashioned and rather stodgy.

Night time entertainment is limited. As this is only a small ship the options are few. The Astor Lounge has a "show" each night or the Captain's Club has a duo who sing and play mainly '50s music. The pianist, Roman, is excellent and Lila the singer is good, but choice of music is again aimed at the over 70s. I have decided to try the Cocktail of the Day each day and our drinks package also covers Bailey's so we are OK for drinks!

The weather has been rather overcast and the sea rough so there is some ups and downs and walking is occasionally problematic. However, we are sleeping well, rocked to sleep by the movement of the “wine-dark sea.”

We are now looking forward to our first port of call, Funchal, on Madeira where I hope to post these blogs.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb