Princess Stays In A Castle


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
January 31st 2013
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.3621, -9.15714

Since we gave up our homestead in Tottenham, DH, aka She-Who-Must-be-Obeyed, aka The Princess, has been without a castle. And given that royalty without a castle for any significant length of time tend to start wars with everyone around them, it was just about time to find an abode more in keeping with her imagined royal status. Obidos Castle crowns the town of Obidos and now houses guests of a certain pedigree (or at least anyone willing to pay their high rates) in its luxurious rooms, so it was time for a splurge.

First remarked upon for its beauty by the 13th century Queen Isabel de Aragon, Obidos was presented to her as a gift by her romantically inclined husband, King Dinis, and thereafter it has been offered by princes (and romantically inclined backpackers like me) to their brides. In past times, however, this was a formidable medieval fortification. It was won back from the Moors in 1148 by the king and his men, apparently disguised as cherry trees (and quite frankly, if you're beaten by a bunch of guys disguised as cherry trees, you have no business occupying a castle). Not too surprisingly Obidos is now famed for a local tipple, Ginginha, a sweet brandy liqueur made with local cherries.

As you walk along the top circumference of the walled city of Obidos, it's not hard to picture a bustling medieval village contained within- narrow cobblestone streets and alleyways lined with colorful homes and Gothic doorways. It's such a perfect example of a medieval fortified village and castle that it's almost cartoonish. Shortly after driving into the city as directed by our malfunctioning GPS unit, we discovered that most right thinking people park outside the walls and walk the narrow roads- without many vehicles, I could, as directed by DH, leisurely wander the complex shopping for a gleaming suit of armour and a noble white stallion.

While maintaining a vigilant watch for any cherry trees that might be moving, we had a great time imagining ourselves as part of a bygone era. My armour suit was starting to chaff however so it was time to head for Lisbon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



7th March 2013

DH....You look like I feel!! LOL!
7th March 2013

Very interesting shot!
7th March 2013

WOW! Very nice. A far cry from a camper and the back of a van eh??
7th March 2013

It still looks like an extremely fun adventure!!
7th March 2013

Throw a little 'Hide and Seek' into the fun too !!! Good for you :) You're never too old for play time : )
7th March 2013

Very pretty shot! More paradise!
7th March 2013

You would need tooth-pick legs to get into that suit
7th March 2013

Great place to shoot a movie!
7th March 2013

Vic, you look lost and tired. Whatever you do, don't jump off the edge!!
7th March 2013

Very nice! An award winning shot!
9th March 2013

Yup you fit right in there DH. I can see you settling in that castle very well!
9th March 2013

I'm glad someone else said it before me, but good luck getting in, better yet once you are in it, good luck getting out!!

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb