Portugal El Camino - 2016


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal
August 31st 2016
Published: August 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 - August 25, 2016 – Santa Iria de Azoia, Portugal to Vilafranca de Xira – 22.14 Miles

After checking out of our hotel, we started walking towards the train station and passed by some beautiful morning glories. Upon reaching the train station we crossed over the tracks and followed the trail through an industrial area passing by several large beautiful gardens.

The trail now turns into a walkway taking us through the Tejo estuary which is busy with local walkers and runners. As we leave the estuary we come to the Alverca do Ribatejo rail station and the air museum Museo do Ar where I take a couple of pictures of some of the planes. After crossing over the railway we find ourselves back on a dirt path that takes us past playing fields and an industrial area. Prior to reaching the town of Alhandra we pass by a Cargill facility and then walk under 2 huge grain chutes.

We now follow the trail past the marina, museum, boat club and a café where we stop to wet our whistle with a cold beer. Now that we are refreshed, we continue on the new riverside path (passeio ribeirinho pedonal) where we see several beautiful painted murals. Unfortunately, I only took a picture of one of the murals which is of a pilgrim. Really wished I had taken more but too late now.

Once again we cross over the railway and walk through an area where Harlan decides its time to cool off so he walks through the tunnel of spraying water which he said felt really good. Continuing on we walk pass the impressive bullring – Plaza de Toros and take a picture of the statue there. Continuing on into the town of Vilafranca de Xira we pass by a cemetery on a hill and then finally arrive at our hotel for the night. Glad to have another day of walking completed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb