Porto, Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
March 27th 2015
Published: May 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We left our wine hotel to drive to Porto. When we drove around we saw some vineyards that looked like almond or olive trees. It was about a 2 hour drive to Porto. When we were trying to look for the hostel we went in circles and circles and circles to find it. When we finally thought it was one place, but two people said it was somewhere else. We did about 2 trips for our bags and went upstairs to our room. The hostel was called Wine Hostel. The room was very, very small but there was a cool common area which was nice and cozy.



After we unpacked, Ania went shopping on her own and I went with Daddy to check out the city. I was looking for presents for my friends and chocolate for me (of course). We were successful with our shopping. We then went back to the hotel to meet Ania. When she got there we all took showers and changed to go out for dinner. For dinner we went to this small outdoor restaurant. I got bacalhaou, Ania also got some type of fish, and my dad got meat and potatoes. It was very good. We had pudding and chocolate cake for dessert. We then went back to hostel to hang out in the common area for a while. I played on the computer. Then we went to bed.



The next day we woke up and had breakfast at the hostel. Our first activity for the day was going to the oldest bookstore in Porto which was from 1906. Inside was a beautiful staircase leading to upstairs. There were so many people. The next stop was a church (Igreja de Sao Francixco). On the second level down, there were catacombs. They are graves. What was really cool, but not surprising, was that about 11 people had Guimaraes as their last name, which is my middle name. Guimaraes is also a city in Portugal. After we got out of the catacombs, we went to the main part of the church which was covered in gold. We then got a snack right by the water.



Next we crossed a bridge to go to 2 more wineries. The first winery was called Taylors. The winery was very pretty. There were a lot of pretty birds. The tour was surprisingly really short and we all were happy about that. I had wine to, AKA grape juice. It came in a large bottle just for me. We had chocolate with it.



Then we took a taxi to the last winery of the trip...Grahams. We had a choice of tour or no tour, and we chose no tour. So we went to this really cool room to try to the port. Daddy and Ania only tried 3 glasses. They were port from 1984, 2000, and 2011. While they were tasting, I played on my dad's phone. Then we went back to the other side of the river to get some food to have dinner in hostel. We had to go to bed early, because we had to leave like at 2 in the morning AND it was daylight savings so we were going to lose an hour. When we woke up we heard a lot of noise. We looked outside and.....there were was a party going on at stinking 2 o'clock in the morning. We got all our bags and moved our way to the car. We drove to the airport and Ania had her flight first at 600am and we were 2 hours later.

This trip was awesome. I got to see my friend that I had not seen in 2 years and my dad and Ania got engaged! I even got better in wine smelling!

My next trip will be in July to go to Canada for the women's world cup finals! GO USA!!!!! Shortly after that, we are going to Indonesia. See you next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 85, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Craving ChocolateCraving Chocolate
Craving Chocolate

Avenida dos Aliados
View of Vila Nova de GaiaView of Vila Nova de Gaia
View of Vila Nova de Gaia

From Igreja de Sao Francisco
Daddy and AniaDaddy and Ania
Daddy and Ania

Porto, Portugal


10th May 2015
Daddy and Ania at Taylor's

Winery Tour
Nice one
10th May 2015
Ribeira - Porto

Ribeira
Nice one

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb