Top things to do in Porto


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
December 6th 2022
Published: December 6th 2022
Edit Blog Post

From beautiful azulejo tiles to impressive bridges, there's no doubt that the beautiful city of Porto is worth a visit.

But what are some of the best things to do in Porto (also called Oporto), you may wonder. Read on to find out!

Discover the beautiful azulejo tiles




Porto is well known for its azulejo tiles and there are many places in the city where you can see them. Some of the best are: Church of Our Lady of Carmo, Porto Cathedral, Chapel of Souls, Sao Bento Train Station, and Igreja de Santo Ildefonso.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures too since the above-mentioned locations are also some of the best photo spots in Porto.

Wander around the old city center




Porto has a vibrant and colorful city center, so make sure you spend some time wandering on its charming and often narrow streets. Ribeira is particular is one of the oldest and most beautiful districts of Porto, so make sure to pay it a visit.

And when you get tired, you can simply stop at one of its chic cafes and restaurants to get something to drink or eat.

Walk on Luis

I bridge


Ponte Luis I is an impressive double-deck metal bridge connecting Porto with Vila Nova de Gaia. Built by a disciple of Gustave Eiffel, the bridge resembles in many aspects with the world-famous tower from Paris.

You can cross the bridge either on foot using both its upper and lower deck (I recommend the first though for amazing panoramas of the Douro river) and there are various viewpoints from where you can see it and take pictures of/with it.

Visit Lello bookstore




Lello bookstore is a renowned and spectacular bookstore in Porto's city center. The lines can be very long sometimes, so you'll have to judge for yourself if it's worth the wait. All I can tell you is that the interior is absolutely stunning.

In order to enter the bookstore, you'll need to pay a small fee, which you can then use it as a discount for a book.

Drink wine



Porto is famous for red wine, which is very sweet and has more alcohol than regular wine. Oh and it's not actually produced in Porto, rather it's made in Upper Douro Valley (bet you didn't expect that). You can find it in almost every restaurant, but you can also opt for a wine tasting.

So what are you waiting for? Start planing your trip to Porto, Portugal right now!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb