Going nowhere on the Douro River.


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
October 4th 2022
Published: October 4th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Well Gaia technically. The oppos of the river to Porto.

Ahoy mateys. Hoist the mainsail and heave away the anchor. Dangerous precedent but being on the water sets the naughty, nautical talk in motion. Disregard the fact we don’t sail until tomorrow morning and then even when we do we sail on a calm, tranquil river. Obviously we are on board but we 30 minutes or so early so we are on the sun deck, by the pool and with 10 or 12 other early birds. Hopefully we are not in the same category as most of them, as the majority are already asleep (or even worse!) or if they are awake they look pretty terrible. Lee has been saying for the last couple of days that tourists here look tired, fatigued and out of breath and she’s probably correct. Porto is hilly and the cobblestone streets make walking more difficult. Fortunately it’s hasn’t rained in the 6 days we have been here as wet cobblestones would make it even more difficult. For some reason municipal authorities insist on those white granite cobbles and they are an accident waiting to happen when they get wet. The temperature has hovered in the low to mid 20’s so temperature wise it’s been delightful. It’s humid in the mornings but by afternoon any cloud/smog has lifted and the days and early evenings have been delightful.

Brekkie again, same same but I expect breakfast tomorrow. I’m not a ‘full English’ although I can be tempted by smoked salmon and eggs but I’m looking forward to fruit and yogurt and some good bread. Admittedly I have had good bread because it’s so available everywhere but spreads have been more scarce. Out early to find cheap money. ATM’s are everywhere here but so many charge an extra fee, equivalent to almost $10. I know which brands don’t charge extra and have good exchange rates (although my money is already in Euros) but it usually means a walk to locate one. Once again past my favourite cafe but again too early even for me to have another coffee and nata. Someone told me that Bakers Delight are serving a custard tart very similar to a nata and Leeks sister sent a photo of a Pambula cafe serving coffee and nata.

Home to do the dishes, strip the sheets and bundle the towels and take the rubbish up the the dump bins! True. Hope we get a good review from this host!

Quick taxi to the port district in Gaia. Over the river but technically a different city and a place with a very different atmosphere. All the river cruise boats dock here so ‘wealthy’ tourists abound and then bus loads of mega ship tourists come in as their boats are too big to dock here. Consequently there are ‘English’ tourists everywhere. It’s a lovely view of old Porto across the river and the different perspectives on the bridge, the cathedral, bishops residence etc have been appreciated as they look more elegant from a distance as they seem cleaner and brighter and in better condition.

Had a meander (that’s a walk but at Lee speed) along the river bank on this side. The area is home to numerous wine cellars, predominantly port cellars and predominantly with English names. The English have been making and cellaring port here since their spat with the French 200 years os back. The name Porto and the fact that so much port comes from here is a coincidence not a consequence. The walk is also lined with souvenir sellers and despite the fact we didn’t want or need anything we managed to buy quite a bit. It helps if you do t really like the stuff they are selling as it puts you in a much better bargaining position! You’ll know what I mean if you’re ‘lucky’ enough to get a souvenir from Porto!

It’s just passed official check in time so if Lee hasn’t joined the ranks of the sleeping (she did go have a relax on a sun lounge) we should be able to be cabined. We left our luggage earlier this morning so seeing it again will be comforting as there’s always a little nagging doubt with arrangements made dockside and in ‘Engleuse’. I’ve mastered 2 words of Portuguese so well that after delivering both of them this morning a family started talking to me in Portuguese and today a waiter had a real double think after I delivered my 2 words to him.

We go no where tonight, which is a bit of an anticlimax but last time we were on a cruise like this Lee woke in the middle of the night to see a lock wall centimetres from her face as she peered through the curtains and she still hasn’t recovered from that experience so a consistent and unchanging environment may not be such a bad thing.

We are actually docked alongside a sister ship meaning we have to walk across that one to get to ours. I think they too leave tomorrow but they go a little further up river and then bus to Madrid. We go up to the wine growing areas and basically return in the 7 days we have. I won’t go through the itinerary cause Lee has come good and we are off to check in.

Caio for now.

We’re in. Seen our luggage and now up the pointy end (see no nautical terms) in a rocking chair, yes a rocking chair! Partaken in a welcoming coffee and some small cakes, hope the coffee gets better but I’m not holding my breath. Cakes were better but no nata. I suppose sometimes it’s better not to compete at all!

It’s later and late. Brief tour up and down stream then back to where we started so I’ll post a couple of photos and say goodnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb