River Cruise!


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Porto
October 25th 2017
Published: October 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Douro is the third-longest river in the Iberian Peninsula after the Tagus and Ebro. Its head waters are in Spain. Its total length is 897 kilometres (557 mi)

"The Douro runs through one of Europe’s most beautiful stretches of countryside, flanked by vineyards under the warming Portuguese sun. Traditional wineries and charming villages break up the fields of green which typify the Douro region. Before reaching the Atlantic Ocean, the Douro dissects the ancient city of Porto on its final leg. The entire Portuguese nation owes its existence to the Douro, around which the country was founded."



On Thursday, we took a seven hour cruise up the Douro River to Ragua, where we had a two hour stay, and then a ninety minute train ride back to Porto.

The price included breakfast and lunch, and the train tickets back..

It was before dawn, and cold when we set off on the 35 minute walk to the river from our apartment. I quickly wished I had worn my down vest under my coat! We had breakfast while still at the dock, and then set off up river. It was too cold to sit outside until after 11:00 am, but we had great seats on the second level.

We passed through two locks, raising up about 45 feet each time. We only saw other tour boats, and a few fishermen on the entire trip, along with one canoes racer out for a practice. The river was calm because of the dams, except for periods of wind waves.

It was a sunny, cloudless day, and warm enough to sit outside after lunch without heavy clothing...and by mid-afternoon it was in the 90s on shore!

We saw evidence of the forest fires all along the river.

With the heat, a bottle of wine with lunch, and an early rising this morning, we took a necessary nap along the river, once we reached our destination of Ragua!

The train followed the river for almost an hour on the way back, and the scenery was beautiful. We arrived (45 minutes late) back in Porto after dark, and walked home, picking up two mini baguettes for 45 cents!

Tomorrow is our last day in Portugal, sadly...


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Canoe sprint training on the waterCanoe sprint training on the water
Canoe sprint training on the water

We saw this in the Olympics once..."In a canoe the paddler kneels on one knee with the other leg forward and foot flat on the floor of the boat, and paddles a single-bladed paddle on one side only with what is known as a 'J-stroke' to control the boat's direction." Wikipedia
New power plant run on Algerian natural gasNew power plant run on Algerian natural gas
New power plant run on Algerian natural gas

It provides 15% of Portugal's power.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb