Now we’re cruising, it’s time to get off the boat.


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Northern » Lamego
October 4th 2022
Published: October 5th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Went to Lamego today and although we are not there now it’s sort of close.

Through the big lock and cruising along then we dock. All off the ship or is it a boat? Not sure and I think I oscillate between the two but it doesn’t really matter unless you’re the captain. I’m pretty sure everyone did get off as there were 3 bus loads of us. Must be a scary sight, 3 coach loads of aging tourists of various sizes and shapes, with various ailments and complaints and with a spectrum of moods! Most are good, some are quite grumpy. The coaches were not full but there are close to a hundred of us so 3 coaches were required. Super comfy and well equipped we drove to Lamego an old religious town about half an hour from our dock. Saw a quite ornate Baroque church (ever seen a non-ornate Baroque church?) with 686 steps down to the town. Surprisingly easy walk down then had a local but pretty good local sparkling wine before heading off to a vineyard specialising in muscatel. Brief tour and explanation of the method used to make port and muscatel and then a bit of a ‘traditional’ banquet. Food was OK but the owner and 6th generation wine maker was a real find. I’m confident that he was Mr Bean’s Portuguese twin brother. His stories were funny and he absolutely charming. Made the night heaps of fun.

See you soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb