New Years Eve Funchal, Madei


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira
January 1st 2008
Published: July 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

New Years Eve on board was celebrated with a Formal dinner. The menu was excellent and, as is the tradition on cruise ships on New Years Eve, the dessert was Baked Alaska. This is paraded into the restaurant with sparklers to much cheering and applause by the galley staff. After dinner we went up to deck 9 to take our positions for the Firework Display. Madeira holds the world record for the largest ever firework display on New Years Eve 2006. This year proved to be no exception with 27 tons of fireworks set off from 40 fireworks stations.

This year's theme was "Legend of the Ocean" and the colours of the fireworks depicted the colours of the sea. Based on the Legend of Atlantida - the land which joined the Island of Madeira with the Azores but allegedly fell into the sea. It is considered legend but recent studies by oceanographers could prove that there is truth in the legend.

The display was absolutely fantastic with the extent of the fireworks covering a stretch of the coastline for about two or more kilometres and stretching up to the mountain peaks. The high expectation was well met and all cruise ships took a considered position out in the bay. For us, possibly a one off, but we are really pleased to have seen it. Most displays will have sequences of high break outs; Funchal has sequences of half a dozen plus at the same time. Eat your heart out London; you're not in the same league as Madeira, which is why over a dozen cruise ships with many thousands of passengers are here.

We would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and prosperous 2008. The fireworks were amazing - supposedly second best in the world to Sydney.

Today we were informed that the next cruise is going ahead as an agreement has been reached with ABTA. We will continue to post our blogs and see you all in April.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb