Madeira


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Madeira
April 19th 2006
Published: April 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Road To SeixalRoad To SeixalRoad To Seixal

The dramatic road along the north coast.
Tonight’s destination would be another quaint fishing village on the northern coast named Seixal, in the heart of the famed Madeira wine growing area. I followed the coastal road but took every opportunity to explore any roads I encountered heading up into the mountains. These inland roads provided scenery just as dramatic as the coastline. Mountainous terrain shot straight up into the sky at dizzying rates. Farmers took every chance to cultivate any plot of available terrain, with terraced plots in every conceivable nook and cranny.

Some of these backroads had also benefited from E.U. funds with a new coat of pavement making for some great curve strafing. Thank gawd for the E.U. funds. The last section of coastal road before reaching Seixal was clawed from the precarious cliffside making for a dramatic view of the Atlantic. I enjoyed this section so much, I returned and rode it again at a somewhat more spirited pace. Discretion being the better part of valor, my throttle hand managed to keep a prudent rate.

Finally arriving in Seixal, I made my way to the bed & breakfast, my home for the next 2 nights. It was a charming place overlooking the small
Road Heading InlandRoad Heading InlandRoad Heading Inland

Tight and twisty was the name of the game.
harbor, built in 1867 and recently renovated. I enjoyed the local favorite, blackfish with banana along with some of the local wine. I left the windows open taking in the fresh ocean breezes and fell asleep to the sound of the crashing waves below.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

TunnelTunnel
Tunnel

The road along the north coast climbs and drops and tunnels its way along the coast. A newer highway tunnels through the mountains, missing the dramatic scenery.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb