Funchal Flower Parade - Part 1


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Madeira » Funchal
April 23rd 2018
Published: April 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 22nd - Flower Parade - Part 1
Well the skies were a little bit cloudy but the clouds didn't look to be full of rain, a good sign that the Flower Parade would be going ahead. We have plenty of time to enjoy Funchal during the Flower Festival period so spent a leisurely morning at the hotel.

The Flower Parade gathering point was close to our hotel but we decided not to peep but wait for the parade to arrive at our designated grandstand spot.

The roads were closed about 12.30pm as the crowds gathered to line the route. A great atmosphere with so much more to come. We set off around 2.30pm taking a slow amble along the promenade and finally came to our spot for the afternoon, not far from the cruise terminal.

There were plenty of helpers to assist in finding your seats, since yesterday when I did my little rekkie a lot more stands had been erected but none were higher than 6 or 7 rows. On each seat there was a straw hat & a bottle of water. We were thrilled to find that we had front row seats so knew we were in for a treat.

Local scouts were offering water & snacks, not at rip off prices so they were doing a good trade, plus being asked to take photos of the crowd, well I had to pass over my camera, it's not often we have a photographer together.

Stewards were handing out gerbera flowers to everyone, competitive cheering from each sector could be heard as a police vehicle or lone cylist went by. A definite carnival atmosphere.

We were seated by 3.15pm, the parade started at 4pm but we guessed it would take probably an hour to reach us and it did but it was well worth the wait. We could hear the parade coming before we saw it.

According to the programme there are 11 themes/groups participating not sure I can identify them all correctly in the photographs but I will try. The first floral float arrived "600 hundred Springtimes" the amount of blooms was incredible, oh how I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall as it was assembled.

Following each float were groups of children dancing and singing along to the music, they all looked so pretty in their colourful outfits, some outfits were floral inspired, others beautifully colour coordinated and all decorated with flowers Either on the outfit, being carried or part of headwear.

Not just children but adults too with amazing costumes all depicting their particular theme and all with such beaming smiles as they waved to the crowds, just a few of the little ones however were looking a little fed up but as the crowds cheered they gave another beaming smile.

David was taking photos, I had 2 cameras & juggling my iPhone but between us hopefully we captured the essence of the festival.

The final float went passed around 6.45pm entitled "Love me Do" the children were dancing and singing Beatles songs and of course so too were all the spectators.I'm splitting the photos into two or three blogs so you can enjoy as much as possible.We hope you enjoy the 2018 Madeira Allegoric Flower Parade. - More to follow tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb