Sintra


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Sintra
December 27th 2007
Published: December 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Pena Longha HotelPena Longha HotelPena Longha Hotel

The grounds were beautiful at the hotel.
After a late morning, we got to see our beautiful hotel during the daylight. After a brief walk around the grounds (includes a monastery and golf course) we started off to Sintra. We started off with some croissants and hot chocolate at a cafe on the main square. We then toured the Palacio Nacionale which was a residence for Portugal monarchs. There were some beautiful rooms with painted tiled walls and painted or engraved ceilings. Deb then shopped for azuelos (painted tiles) while the boys grabbed more croissants and bread from a pastry shop.

While in Sintra, it's hard not to notice the old Moorish Castle looming high above. That was our next stop as we drove the bus up the winding road past numerous old estates (Sintra was old retreat for Lisbon's wealthy). The Moorish Castle is mostly deteriorated except its outer walls and towers. But we had a great time walking and climbing the castle. It's hard to imagine anyone could ever have taken the castle as the castle sits on a rocky crag with dominant views. Diana loved the several cats that were hanging around the entrance to the castle hoping for a scrap of food.

From the Moorish Castle, we hiked on to the Pena Palace, a wonderful palace built by the Portuguese monarchy in the early 1800's. The palace was designed in a heavily Moorish theme and had many bright colors. After touring the palace, we walked through some of its immense grounds back to our car. Our legs were worn out after several hours of hiking up and down very steep hills and steps! Sintra is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and all of us agreed it was a very interesting place.

We then drove to Caiscais, a town on the sea coast. We walked a bit and decided to split up. The kids had dinner at McDonald's while Mark and Deb had some nice margaritas at a hotel bar looking at the water. We then drove back to the hotel. The kids relaxed in the room while Mark and Deb enjoyed a great meal in a hotel restaurant. A very good ending to a great day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Palacio NacionalPalacio Nacional
Palacio Nacional

Beautiful tiled walls and painted ceiling in this room
Deb, Mark and Diana Deb, Mark and Diana
Deb, Mark and Diana

Off to the right of Diana you can see one of the many castles and estates around Sintra
Afraid of heights?Afraid of heights?
Afraid of heights?

The Moorish Castle sits high above Sintra.
Ocean viewOcean view
Ocean view

Far behind Diana is the Atlantic Ocean
The whole familyThe whole family
The whole family

Lisbon is in the far distance


28th December 2007

Enjoying the view
Looks like a fun trip ! Great photos -- can't wait to see Spain. Happy New Year. Jane
28th December 2007

Greetings!
Hey, Greenwoods! Glad to hear Will understood sign language (1 stop)!! My heart would have stopped!!! Hope you are all having as much fun as your pix look like you are having! We are at the lake with Berk and Joan and Alex and Matt...fun, but not as exotic!! Take care!

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb