Lisbon


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Lisbon
November 10th 2017
Published: November 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Spain to Portugal


It’s Friday. We only know because they change the brass inlay nameplate on the elevator floors each morning so cruisers can keep track of what day it is. If it’s Friday, it must be Lisbon. It is not only the capital, it’s the largest city in Portugal and we have all of 7 hours to check it out! This is why we are not Cruise people.



We opt for the shuttle into the city center and are dropped off along with 2,000+ other tourists at the same time with literally the worst map ever printed. Relying on Google and Peter’s Spanish, we manage to find a visitors center where we get the skinny for travel options to the Maritime Museum. Pete & Nancy join us mostly to see the church and Jeronimos Monastery that houses it, a stunning structure.



The maps are incredible as is the story of these early Portuguese explorers. The building was even more so! Filled with replicas, this museum really loves model ships. The real ones were outside in an adjoining building and courtyard.



We walk through Belem neighborhood and take public transit back to the ship, searching for a striped fishermen t-shirt for Peter. We found a lot of salt cod instead!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Lisbon Cruise Port signLisbon Cruise Port sign
Lisbon Cruise Port sign

graphic of Belem Tower


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb