Our return to Lisbon - off to Cascais and Belem.


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisbon & Tagus Valley » Cascais
November 28th 2019
Published: November 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Returning to Lisbon, there are multiple giant nests built into trees, and even electrical towers. White heads pop out, and as the birds take flight, we spot our first storks, but no babies in sight.

Unfortunately, Chris now has caught something so we decide to lay low for a bit......... but not for long and we are off!

Off to see Pink Street which is .......... a street painted pink. It appears to be the signature for a night life gathering spot with clubs and bars. Close by is the Time Out Market in an enormous building that showcases the best restaurants of Lisbon. It is like a tapa’s buffet of 40 different markets. Whatever you want to eat or drink, it is here. Strangely, there do not seem to be any Portuguese people in attendance, only tourists.

Having met a young Canadian couple at the market who told us about the city of Cascais, this morning we are off to visit this area and the Rainha Beach so I can collect sand for my collection. This is a fishing town, and a holiday destination of the Lisbon region. The coastline has 17 beaches, and is a popular surfing spot. In fact, an hour and a half away is the town of Nazare that claims the biggest waves in the world.

Heading back on the train, there is a second stop at the district of Belem to view the 56 meter high Padrao dos Descobrementos monument. Reconstructed in 1960, this sculpture was in recognition of Henry the Navigator. The 32 figures positioned on the two ramps are significant characters in the Discoveries; cartographers, navigators, missionaries, artists, chroniclers, warriors, and colonizers. The details chiseled in the limestone are remarkable.

A short walk away is the Belem Tower that was constructed as a fortress and is now designated as one of the Seven Wonders of Portugal. Across the street is the block long Jeronimos Monastery crafted in Gothic architecture. Remember the Portuguese custard tart, these were created and sold by the Catholic monks at this monastery as a source of revenue. Once Jeronimos was closed in 1834, the recipe was sold to the owners of a sugar factory that opened the Fabrica de Pasteis de Belem. This company is still owned and operated by the descendants.

While at the laundromat, I watch a man gently stuff several flower bouquets into a large black container, and drive off on his scooter for delivery.

We are so sad to leave Portugal with all the lovely people. I could live here, but sure do wish I could speak Portuguese.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb