Lisbon, Portugal and Gibralter, UK January 11 & 12, 2016


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa
January 13th 2016
Published: January 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Monday, Jan. 11. Lisbon, Portugal 8:00AM-4:30PM cloudy start to the day, becoming sunny and warm up to 16C. Lovely day!

Feeling right as rain this morning! Whew!

Ended up hiring a driver for a couple of hours. Jose Dantas da Silva. Delightfully classy Portuguese gentleman With excellent English, impeccible manners, and a wonderfully ethnic moustache. Took us to St. Jorge Castle, a church, Belem Tower and Henry the Navigator Monument (celebrating 500 years of teaching navigation!!) Dropped us off downtown. Paul was offered (very suspect) marijuana the instant the driver moved off.

Lovely city. Definitely on the list of 'return for a while'.

Tuesday, January 12. Gibraltar, UK. 4:00-11:30PM. Sunny and pleasant. 15C

Finally sunny and warmish. Up and to breakfast by 10:00. Sent out first laundry, 'cause it's free!!

Entered the Straits of Gibraltar around noon. Africa on starboard side, Spain aport. Very cool! Scenic cruising with commentary starting at 2:30 or so. We took a short excursion with Louis to see main sites. City of 30k = 30k cars and motorbikes. Old town. Very narrow streets and switchbacks everywhere. Stopped at lighthouse and mosque site. Then went to St. Michael's Cave and to see the Barbary Apes. Cave was fabulous! Never seen anything like it.

having a wonderful time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

LisbonLisbon
Lisbon

Castello St. Jorge
LisbonLisbon
Lisbon

St. Jorge
LisbonLisbon
Lisbon

Belem Tower
LisbonLisbon
Lisbon

Oldest church in the city. Built in 1150.
LisbonLisbon
Lisbon

Monument to Henry the Navigator.
GibralterGibralter
Gibralter

St. Michael's Cave
GibralterGibralter
Gibralter

Barbary ape. Cheeky and not afraid at all!


Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0955s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb