To Alcobacal Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Lisboa » Alcochete
July 26th 2017
Published: July 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

It has been a while since our last entrée but bad internet and face book take the blame for that. .We arrived late in Alcobacal but we found the small hotel easy. We quickly installed and being so long light we went for a walk to inspect the place. It has an enormous monastery with a large square in front that is ringed by lots of little restaurants and cafe's . Most were closed for they eat late here in Portugal. We had time to have a shower and go out again for a meal. Next day we visited the Monastery. Very interesting building. It was build in 1138 and consecrated in 1250. We also went to the museum that is separate of the Monastery. It is an impressive building but not as nice as some of the churches in Spain. We went back that night to the same restaurant where we got to know the owner and his wife. They used to live in Portuguese Africa but had to return to Portugal due to the war there. I had been in that colony in my earlier years so it was interesting to talk with them. We went back there till we left Alcobacal. The tourist office told us about Obidos a medieval castle that is inside a walled city. It was not that far just 25 k.m. away. On arrival we had to find a way to get to the old city that was high up the mountain with only tiny small roads. We met another couple with the same problem and they started to walk up the3 mountain. We really did not like that idea. I went to a couple of lads that were sitting there talking. They soon told me you can take the car but have to come in from a different direction. He said there is a big parking place you can park you car for free, yah yah that turned out to be a lie. You had to pay but not that much. There was an entrée to pay that gave us the right to enter Obidos. It really is a big market where people try to sell you all sorts of things but mostly food and drinks. Some people walk in medieval clothes with swords and knives hanging from their hips. You do feel you are in the olden times. We tasted five different sorts of beer and port wine that was like Cherry liqueur so nice. We had a marvellous time Obidos but had to return to Alcobacal to organise our trip to the next stop. We leave Portugal and go back to Spain to continue our travels.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.431s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb