Day in Fatima


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Central » Fátima
March 19th 2006
Published: March 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We are planning on a trip to Fatima on Sunday and then I'll have some pictures to post from there. In the meantime here is a little info about this city....
Fatima became know in 1916 when Virgin Mary appeared to the 3 little shepherd children, Francisco, Jacinta and Lucia. In 1918 the then priest of Fatima asks that he be allowed to erect an alter where the apparitions took place. However Francisco dies in 1919, 15 days before the inauguration of the alter. In 1982 the actual cathedral is inaugurated with the visit of Pope John Paul II. Jacinta his sister dies on the 20th Feb. 1920 on the exact date that the Virgin had told her she would. Lucia died recently on the 13th Feb. 2005.
Extra Info: 1st apparition - (May 13)
2nd apparition - (June 13)
3rd apparition - (July 13)
4th apparition - (Aug 19) due to children been taken on the 13th elsewhere on purpose (however the Virgin told them to go there on the 19th)
5th apparition - (Sept 13)
6th apparition - (Oct 13) the Virgin told the children this was the last time she would be appearing to them, and recommended that they carry on praying the rosary every day.
After a long process that dates back to 1946 the little shepard children, Francisco and Jacinta ended up being beatified on June 28, 1999.
Well the kids and everyone was up early (which they do every day)and gave Dad a present - it's Father's day here😊
At this time of the morning the traffic is slow but we had to tread carefully as we have had loads of rain all week-end.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb