Last Port of Call Before Home


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Azores
April 10th 2009
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.7463, -25.6668

06-09/04/09 At Sea Temps Air 28 to 19°C Sea 27 to 20°C

Oh what a difference, the weather is starting to change for the worse with winds increasing to force 5-6 and swells of 2-3m. Each day means a reduction in the temperature of approx. 2°C that might not seem much but trust me I can tell you it's significant, it's meant a sad return to trousers and tee shirts and I've no doubt it'll be jumpers and jackets all too soon.

Friday 10/04/09 Ponta Delgada - São Miguel the Azures Temps Air 8°C Sea 19°C
Arrived slightly later than expected due to the constant headwinds (well that's the Captains excuse) the eastern half of the island is still covered in heavy cloud with light mist over the Western half. We had planned to get a taxi and visit the Blue & Green lakes but in view of the poor visibility we decided it wasn't worth it so opted for an easy day looking around the town, as we've only got 4 hrs before getting under way again.

It's a pleasant enough place with sufficient to occupy your time for a week or so, it's very laid back and just as you would imagine a old Portuguese town to be. There's plenty of old churches well worth a visit and quaint shops in the back streets, whale & dolphin tours from the harbour as well as deep sea fishing trips if your that way inclined. Unfortunately for us this being Good Friday and a high percentage of the population being Roman Catholic the town is all but closed, the usual eatery's and pubs are open and a handful of other shops but that's about it. So it's back to the ship in time for an afternoon departure to make the final journey northward to Southampton.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.1454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb