Ponta Delgada - our final port


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Azores » São Miguel » Ponta Delgada
May 2nd 2017
Published: May 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

1st May Ponta Delgada



Our final port of call was Ponta Delgada on the island Sao Miguel, Azores.



This is a remote Portuguese archipelago some 760 miles west of Lisbon in the Atlantic Ocean.

It consists of nine islands in three groups and was first settled by Gonçalo Valho Cabral in 1439, there is a statue of him at the city gates.





The land commands a high price because of its fertility, dairy products, live cattle are the most important trades along with beet-sugar, alcohol and pineapples.





Ponta Delgada has narrow and cobbled winding streets and in lots of ways reminded us of Funchal, Madeira.





A lot of the buildings are whitewashed and have wooden balconies.

The streets are paved with mosaics and there are churches at most street corners (or so it seemed).

We wandered the streets finding small gardens with seating, some had cafes but because it was a public holiday, very few were open.

The Igrega do Colegia is an 18th century Church of late baroque architecture was founded by the Jesuits, unfortunately it is being renovated so we couldn't get in to see the interior.





Further afield there is Fire Lake, a crater from an extinct volcano.

People come to bathe in its rich mineral waters that are believed to have healing properties.





The Furnas Valley has mineral springs that belch and bubble and spray hot water (and mud) into the air.





With the smell of sulphur in the air it reminds me of somewhere we've been before on this trip.

Aha Rotorua!!!!





Whilst it was a national holiday here there were quite a few shops and cafes open around the port.





A lovely Spring day saw the locals out in force, although the strong onshore breeze led to the cancellation of the whale and dolphin watch trip from the ship.





So our final port before heading back to Blighty on Friday and as we headed away from the Azores we can reflect on a trip thats had highs and lows.





More highs than lows!!! Thank goodness


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.421s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 89; dbt: 0.1405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb