The last of Faial and sailing to Sao Jorge (July 29-30)


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Azores » Faial
August 8th 2012
Published: August 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

View from the ObservatoryView from the ObservatoryView from the Observatory

A view of the Horta harbor on the left and swimming beach on the right from the observatory location in Horta.
We know we owe you a blog entry or two but we have been keeping busy. We are no longer on the island of Faial as we left there July 31st and sailed to the island of Sao Jorge. We spent a busy week on Sao Jorge and on August 7thwe had a great 10 hour sail to the island of Terceira with 2 other boats. To catch you up to date we will split up the blog entry. We will first finish up with the last couple of things we did on Faial before we dive into the beautiful island of Sao Jorge in the next blog.

During the last couple of days on Faial we took a quick walk up to the Observatory which is located in Horta overlooking the harbor. This was built in 1901 and was done at the request of Prince Albert of Monaco because he realized the importance of getting accurate weather observations from this location would help in predicting weather for Europe. We weren’t able to go inside but it gave us a great view of the area around Horta.

Quite a few people told us that we should not miss the
Still in Use TodayStill in Use TodayStill in Use Today

The observatory was built in 1901 and is still being used today at this very strategic location in the Atlantic on the island of Faial.
Scrimshaw Museum in Horta so on the day before we left we made time for it. We received a great guided tour for 2 euro ($2.45). The collection is housed above the famous Peter Café Sport bar in Horta, the collection belonged to Peter (the grandfather of the current owner). When we first heard about this we were somewhat skeptical, a museum above a bar, but we were wrong. It includes work done in the Azores and other magnificent pieces from around the world done on whale teeth and bones, elephant tusk and warthog tusk. The themes vary from subjects that were important to the sailors and whalers of the 1800s up through modern day topics. The drawings show the longing for home and loved ones back on shore to portraits of historical people, the daily life activities and the modern artists even attempt to make political statements with their art. It was a fascinating place to explore – a great way to spend the afternoon.

A very large week long festival was to begin August 4th in Horta and they were already busy setting up tents in the marina and across streets in anticipating of the activities. For
The Fort at NightThe Fort at NightThe Fort at Night

Fort Santa Cruz is all lite up at night – it is quite the backdrop at the marina in Horta.
a moment we thought about staying, but as it was another week before it would even start, we looked at the calendar and decided we would sail to Sao Jorge to explore another island. We were glad we did. It is a beautiful island with a great marina and Jose, the harbormaster, who welcomed us to “paradise” (those are his words and they did ring true). As much as we loved Flores we fell in love with Sao Jorge. We will fill you in on Sao Jorge in the next blog entry.

Once again we hope you are all well and enjoying your summer. Best wishes to you all from both of us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Getting a Chance to MeetGetting a Chance to Meet
Getting a Chance to Meet

We were happy to have had a chance to meet up with Trevor, one of the two crew members that was on SV Drum that we had been in contact with during our Atlantic crossing. What a great guy- but we aren’t surprised as he is from Grenada! Hopefully our paths will cross again some day.
A New Hiding SpotA New Hiding Spot
A New Hiding Spot

It may be hard to see but Sailor found a new hiding place – under the dinghy that is up on the deck when we are at the dock. We lift up the dinghy so we can get air down below and it gave her room to get in to hide, but still look out.
The Scrimshaw MuseumThe Scrimshaw Museum
The Scrimshaw Museum

A few examples of the scrimshaw that was in the museum – it was nice that they didn’t mind photos being taken here.
A change from whiteA change from white
A change from white

Anyone like yellow? This definitely was a break from the traditional white buildings that you saw in Horta.
Getting Ready to PartyGetting Ready to Party
Getting Ready to Party

Another of the big tents that was taking up a large area in the marina for the festival week coming up in August.
Getting ReadyGetting Ready
Getting Ready

This must be quite the festival to put the tents over the roads closing traffic over a week ahead of time.
The MarketThe Market
The Market

As always we had to go to the fruit and vegetable market in Horta however we were surprised at how small it was. Fortunately we were able to find a few things to buy there.
Last of FaialLast of Faial
Last of Faial

Our last view as we left Horta on our way to Sao Jorge. It was raining when we left but cleared up after about an hour.
Checking the ChartplotterChecking the Chartplotter
Checking the Chartplotter

We are happy on those rainy days to have the enclosure for the cockpit area of the boat to keep us dry while at the helm.
View of Velas on Sao JorgeView of Velas on Sao Jorge
View of Velas on Sao Jorge

Our view from the sea of the village of Velas on Sao Jorge. Note the large cavern on the left – these are quite common here.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb