Tavira Portugal


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Tavira
July 16th 2016
Published: July 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Tavira is nice seaside village with lots of restaurants on both sides of the river that flows into the ocean. Many tourists stop to look at the Roman bridge that crosses the river but the age of the bridge is disputed. We enjoy walking through the old part of town and eating at a Italian restaurant owned by a man from Turkey. Our apartment here is not great, the air conditioning is in the living room only and the fan in the bedroom does not work.

The main draw in Tavira is Tavira Island. Ferries leaves from the river to the island on the half hour and returns from the island on the hour. The cost for the ferry is only one euro each way and only takes 20 minutes. Private boats will also take you to the island whenever you want for 10 euros. Once you arrive it is a 10 minute walk to the beach. On the way to the beach you pass outdoor cafes and a few bars. There are public restrooms and restrooms in some restaurants.

We rented a cabana for 8 euros for the day. The cabana had two lounges which were padded and had adjustable shade. We ate lunch at a cafe, fish of course. After lunch we went for a long walk along the beach until we came to a bar where we stopped for a beer. We took the second to the last ferry of the day back to town. We are not hungry so we have gelato for dinner.

The next morning we leave for Lagos another beach town but we stop at Faro on the way. We visit the church but find the town closing up for some holiday. We had lunch near the Marina (fish of course). Since the town is closing up at noon we head on to Lagos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



18th July 2016

I always enjoy your travel blogs!!! Tavira looks inviting, as does all of Portugal and Espana.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb