It's all a bit weird - Guest Blog by Tom


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Lagos
December 22nd 2008
Published: December 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bannos AbroadBannos AbroadBannos Abroad

A group photo on Day 1 on Praia Da Luz beach.
It’s weird being out here in Portugal. Not the opening line you would expect is it?

It’s weird having your parents pick you up at the airport in their British car and drive without needing a map or arguing over what side of the road to drive on. It’s weird driving to a camping and caravan site with a Pool, Supermarket, Restaurant, Bar and Yoga classes. It’s weird being met on the way in by a very smiley Nigerian woman called Gladys who knows all about you and has been waiting to see you. Its weird climbing into a caravan that you last saw parked on the driveway at home in England. It’s weird watching British telly while drinking a cup of Yorkshire tea after spending a day on a beach in mid-December. It’s weird, but it’s a great way to spend 10 days (Or 18 months in the case of the ’rents).

I really like where I am staying. The site is very steep and each terrace of caravans seems to have its own little social scene. It’s like living in an episode of your favourite TV soap opera, everyone knows everyone else on our “street”, people pop around to borrow bits and bobs or invite you to their latest boozy gathering in their caravan awning or pop their head in to gossip about this and that. The site also (like many in Europe) has Wifi Internet access, god knows what I would do without it, probably curl up into a ball in the corner of the awning and shout modem noises in a vain attempt to connect to facebook or youtube. Instead I have stayed “connected” and been able to gloat and post regular updates to friends back in blighty to remind them how cold they are.
You wouldn’t know it’s almost Christmas here during the day; the weather is anything but Christmassy with temperatures up in the high teens, proper T-Shirt and shorts weather. On the other hand when the sun goes down the caravan site starts to look like the Christmas aisle at your local garden centre: Caravans and awnings are daubed in twinkling lights, massive motor homes are outlined by long lengths of rope lights. Local town centres have brilliant hanging light displays and “Boas Festas” (Portuguese for Merry Christmas) is daubed everywhere.

I’m not going to go into great detail about what I have done whist here; I’ll leave the professional bloggers to do that. But so far I’ve eaten a lot, drank even more, sunbathed on a beach twice, chuckled at crabs trying to escape a supermarket, played Bingo, chilled out and generally had a great time.

Thankyou to Mum, Dad for welcoming me into their little world. It’s great to see you both so chilled out, relaxed and most of all happy, It’s also been great just to see you. Thank you for letting me relax and if needs be chill out on my own. Thankyou for hiding me from the camp commandant to save me €50 and thank you for running me about everywhere.

The best bit is... I’ve another 5 days ‘till I go home! Merry Christmas!

Tom


Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb