The Atlantic Ocean is freezing - regardless of what Sherrie might say!


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Faro
August 16th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Portugal has been great - very relaxing. We decided not to go to Lisbon but instead spend our time in the Algarve, an area on the southern coast. It is quite beautiful. English is much more common here than in Spain. We found most places we did not have any difficulty with the language. We stayed in the city of Faro. This is where the airport is that we fly out of tonight.

Thursday was a nice relaxing day. We spent the afternoon at the beach which is about 6km away, easily accessible by bus. The beach was great, however, I felt the water was about 15 degrees colder than I would have liked. Sherrie thought it was great, not cold at all.
Yesterday (Friday) was very exciting. We headed by train to the town of Lagos. We first booked a trip with 'Dizzy Dolphins.' It involved 90 minutes on the water (Atlantic Ocean) in attempt to see dolphins. We were very lucky and saw some. They were swimming and jumping all around the boat. It was great. The water was a bit rough but not too bad. We took lots of pictures but we could not get the dolphins to sit still long enough to have their photos taken. Many pictures are of the water minus the dolphins. In the afternoon, we decided to go out with this old fisherman and tour the rocks and caves. It is hard to explain without photos but it was a great trip as well. The rocks are along the shoreline and are quite amazing. The fisherman was great too. He was lots of fun. Last night we went to a fantastic restaurant and had grilled salmon for dinner. It was excellent.

Today has been quiet. We packed up our stuff this morning and will head to the airport around 6:00pm. We fly to Ireland tonight, into the Shannon airport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Sherrie and Steph on coast tourSherrie and Steph on coast tour
Sherrie and Steph on coast tour

This was on our tour with the fisherman.


16th August 2008

Sooo Jealous!!
ok, I'm so coming and joining with you guys again!! I've been in sweaters here in Czech and Poland the past few days....I miss my ocean :'( I'm trying to think of a way I can slip back to the Sea or Ocean again. :) Enjoy the rest of your travels!~
19th August 2008

swimming
Steph- I was surprised you found the water cool for swimming. The Atlantic was bathtub warm when we were in Biarritz, France - a lot further north- go figure. enjoy Ireland.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb