Carrapateira


Advertisement
Portugal's flag
Europe » Portugal » Algarve » Aljezur
August 1st 2013
Published: August 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Carrapateira. Sounds like something you might eat for dinner but it is not! It's the name of a small west coast town and also the name of one of two of its beaches. The other beach was called Bordeira (as was the next town over). Both are big surfing beaches. We only popped in to Bordeira Beach on our way home to check it out and we spent our day at Carrapeteira. This was another gorgeous beach (sadly, we are getting spoilt by the coastal beaches and any other future beaches are bound to compare unfavourably...). There was lots of swimming although it was agreed that the waves at Arrafina were bigger. One interesting thing was that there is a small river that starts at the side of this beach and heads inland. The only way to get to the beach is to take off your sandals and walk through the shallow river across to the beach! We weren't sure if we were at the right place or not at first, so we watched others do it and then asked someone if this was in the fact the way to the beach. They confirmed it was so we crossed and then had to walk another 700m to get to the actual ocean side of the beach. This beach was very quiet and the surfers mostly stayed at the north end of the beach. It is pretty cool watching the surfers do their thing - I think this vacation may be the first time we have actually seen people surfing (at least in such large numbers).

Another first....we saw a grown man swimming in the waves fully nude. Yup. Not a good look (Seinfeld would give that guy a "bad naked" rating). And for those of you who I know are wondering, it was NOT Nigel). Another one was the lady who played badminton topless (bad naked again) especially since it was breezy and the birdie was all over the place....lots of lunging....not good.

The day was another scorcher but at the beach, it is always breezy and very comfortable.



(We left the camera at home, so no photos today).

Advertisement



1st August 2013

"Bad Naked"
Have you noticed that it's never the "beautiful" people that go around naked? I wonder what they were thinking when they looked in the mirror that morning? It's probably a good thing that you left the camera at home :)
2nd August 2013

Badminton Player
It was Lori - wasn't it?
2nd August 2013

Ha ha
I knew I should have clarified.....

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb