Day 10: Rainy and cold Krakow on our last day


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland
October 5th 2016
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.0553, 19.9274

Dzien dobry (hello) from rainy and so-cold-you-can-see-your-breath Krakow:

A busy final, full day in Krakow, Poland, and Europe, and it felt like winter in Oregon: cold rain all day, wind blowing the parka hood off our heads, navigating puddles and people walking with their heads down. It was 39 degrees all day today. (We've seen everything during this vacation, from late summer temperatures in the 70's to a couple of days of fall weather, to a cold winter day today that called for wearing every layer of clothing we brought with us.)

We made a quick walk down the 'Royal Way Walk' outlined by Rick Steves, entering the north end of the Old Town past the Barbican, the protective rampart outside the Florian Gate and the old city wall. Stopped to buy a few souvenirs at the basilica bookstore, brought them back to the hotel to dry off a bit, then back out to catch the trolley out to the Wawel Royal Castle and Cathedral, the national cathedral of Poland.

After self-guided walking tours of those sights, it was back to the hotel to pack, but only after a comforting stop at our new favorite Polish restaurant for a late, late lunch -- the same place we had our first lunch in Krakow on Tuesday afternoon.

This time, we split a plate of spinach pierogi (Polish dumplings), apple cinnamon pierogi topped with sour cream (dessert? Nah, just heavenly indulgence), and a hearty cabbage, carrots, potato, and ham soup, probably Kapusta (Polish Cabbage Soup), although we couldn't decipher the menu board for the Zupa Dnia (soup of the day).

Tonight we're packing and trying to be ready for a 3:30 am wake-up call and 4:30 am taxi to the airport for our 6:45 am departure to Amsterdam that connects with a non-stop to PDX, where we arrive at 11:32 am, though our bodies will think it's 8:32 pm Krakow time.

So, do widzenia (good-bye), sweet Krakow, and dobranoc (good night), family and friends!

See you soon.

Sharon and Mike / Mom and Dad


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Kapusta (Polish cabbage soup)Kapusta (Polish cabbage soup)
Kapusta (Polish cabbage soup)

True Polish comfort food!


Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb