Day 15 - 37 - Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland
May 29th 2010
Published: May 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Baltic sea - KoszalinBaltic sea - KoszalinBaltic sea - Koszalin

Stormy looking day on the Baltic coast.
After leaving western Europe we spent the next 3 weeks visiting Family in Poland, my wife is Polish and our last chance for a while to see them all.

While here we managed to squeeze in a few cities:

- Koszalin
Visited friends on the Baltic coast of Poland. Lovely in summer no doubt, freezing when we were there!

- Gdansk, northernly port of Poland.
We also visted Westerplatte which where the first shots were fired in WW2. A german warship was on a friendly visit to Gdansk and opened fire on the guardhouses on the banks. This was expected to be a swift victory for the Germans but the Poles held out for 7 days with very little in the way of men or supplies. When they did finally surrender the survivors were taken in captivity. The Germans were amazed they held out so long without so much of a underground tunnel system.

- Visited bunkers in Boryszyn which is in Polish terriority. This is part of a massive underground tunnel system created by the Germans between 1934-1944. They had a total lenth of approx 30kms and were built in preparation of conflict with France. It
Bunkers at BORYSZYN Bunkers at BORYSZYN Bunkers at BORYSZYN

Inside the bunker where the german troups would have spent most of their time on duty waiting for an attack.
was a really cold and dark place, without flashlights (and a guide) you would get completely lost. They even had train lines down there to transport goods and ammunition. If you google this name you can find out more info, pretty interesting stuff.

Torun

ToruĊ„ is one of the most beautiful cities of Poland. Picturesquely located on the both banks of the Vistula River and also the birthplace of Copernicus, interesdting musem.

Warsaw

Our final stop in Poland, we had a day to check out the sites and the Old Town. Although a lot of the city was destroyed and rebuilt after the war there are still some old buildings and ruins of castles that are worth seeing.

Next day we had a flight to Saint Petersburg, Russia!

Had an amazing 3 weeks in Poland, fantastic country and recommend!! (and I did not even make it to the south).




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Westernplatte Guardhouse Westernplatte Guardhouse
Westernplatte Guardhouse

Remains of one of the guardhouses where the Polish soliders fought for 7 days.
WarsawWarsaw
Warsaw

Relaxing, old square in Warsaw.


3rd June 2010

NZ/Poland
I dont have any comments re Russia but my wife is Polish and I am from NZ. We had spent 6 years in London and went back to NZ. My advice is to turn around. Unless you are obsessed with the outdoors you wont like whats happened in NZ over the past 7 years. Cant afford a house. Clothes, nz butter and lamb are cheaper in the UK. Electricyt and petrol make cost of living insane. You need a car to get anywahere, and becuase the roads are terrible it takes all day to get anywhere. Worst of all. People have become so clicky and tight with thier money. When we returned we where on two professional wages with no kids and were living from pay check to paycheck with no chance of visitinf Jos parents back in Poland. Also , the feeling of isolation is intense. We returned after 2 years as we could nt stand it any more. All the best for you two. I didnt mean to rain on your parade. There are several Polish associations in NZ that are worth contacting as you will be surprised how many kiwi boys married Poles!!!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb