Warsaw Wonders and Resilience


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland
September 6th 2019
Published: September 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Second day in Warsaw and join a half day tour to cover some ground.

We did the Royal Route which covered, you guessed it!- many royal residences along with historic churches and Baroque sculptures. We went for a 40 minute walk through the royal gardens where Chopin (who is Polish born) has musical park benches and a beautiful amphitheatre created by trees and with seating provided. They have a Chopin concert there every Sunday afternoon. Just gorgeous. Red squirrels ? running around. These gardens have no cyclists or dogs allowed and is very peaceful to walk through.

Then it was Warsaw’s reminders of 20th century history including the Jewish Ghetto area and museum and nazi takeover. It’s hard to imagine they were under communist reign until 1989. Our guide gave us many insights that I had not heard about before.

Then it was to the Old Town, Castle Square and Churches, National opera building and the summer residence of the last King of Poland. I left the tour at the Old Town (it ended there) and stayed in that area for the afternoon just meandering and immersing myself in the history and culture.

Most of these areas that were levelled to the ground by the Nazis in the war but have been rebuilt in the same way. They refer to some of these areas as new but to we Aussies they are still very old.

The Polish honour the past through monuments and museums and those who helped them, but at the same time look forwards. The symbolic deeper meaning is always there. A guided tour has been invaluable on this occasion.

Met lots of interesting people again as well as some I am glad not to see again.

What strikes me most is that you can come back from anything if you have the will. It might be different but the important core remains. This trip and the story of the Jewish and Polish keeps reminding me off that. Resilience is so important in life.

What also strikes me on these travels is the strong sense of identity these countries have. In some ways we lack that in Australia.

Went to the bar and had a Caesar salad with a glass of wine for a very late lunch and early dinner.

Tired. Early night coming for early rise to get the train to Krakow for 3 days. Will be there by lunchtime. Looking forward to it.

Suzanne


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Jewish Ghetto MuseumJewish Ghetto Museum
Jewish Ghetto Museum

Built on the site of the Ghetto that the nazis brought to the ground in WW2. The entrance represents the party of the Red Sea.


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb