BRATISLAVA - KATOWICE


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Silesia » Katowice
October 1st 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

BRATISLAVA - KATOWICE 01.10.08

Km traveled 3040

Jogging early morning, under the rain, with a backpack the size of yourself on your shoulders to catch the 5.54 train, is a MUST for every traveler. So we thought that was a good chance for us to show off our traveling skills. When you choose to take a train so early in the morning, when it's still dark, it means that things are going to be difficult. Otherwise you would have taken the 2.00 pm train! So obviously what should have been just an early morning journey from Bratislava to Katowice, with ONE change at Zilina, turned out to be an adventure. First part of the journey was actually fine if it wasn't for the early time. We arrive at Zilina almost on time after crossing the beautiful lands of Slovakia. Weather is wet, hills and mountains around are covered in trees that are slowly turning yellow. It reminds me of the feeling I had when we used to go on the mountains in Central Italy this time of the year, to pick up chestnuts. So we're supposed to change with the 8.50 train to Katowice. We kindly ask to train lady at the platform with the only train leaving at the time. She's very nice and tells us that no train go from Zilina to Katowice, so that is the right one but we have to change at Cadca. Needless to say that we don't know a word of Slovak and she doesn't know any of English like everyone in Slovakia!
So we jump on the train and get off after two stops. At the opposite platform we catch the train to Katowice. There are no coach numbers so we find a cabin empty and we relax. I know what you're thinking, not too bad, just one more change. Let me finish. It wasn't even half an hour on the train that the train inspector comes in a hurry saying that we have to leave the train and get on the bus. Oh god! We grabbed everything in the cabin almost missing tickets and cellphone, and run to the bus that needless to say was already packed. The difficulties of the language keeps us absolutely unaware of what is going on. I almost sleep on the bus, I was so tired. When we were almost hopeless the bus finally stops after an hour on it, and run again to get on the train waiting for us. I think we're in Poland, but hard to tell. Anyway that's it, we got to Katowice, easily got to our luxury hotel (probably the only one we will see) and we got in to a five hours coma. We only had time to go out and eat something. Tomorrow we're going to visit Auschwitz (WWII Nazi Concentration Camp).



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



3rd October 2008

Nice Job!!!
Hi guys really enjoying the Blog. We're all sitting round having a read at the moment. Your account of heading into Poland is bringing back memories for Meg. Nice job guys well be keeping tabs on the journey. Ta Jimmy, Meg, Ed and Beth
3rd October 2008

Good times
Looks like your having a good time mate. Nice beard.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb