Farewell to Kunowice


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lubusz
July 1st 2018
Published: July 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our time with all the family in Kunowice has come to an end. Can’t believe we have been here for three weeks. Our new addition Elliot Adam arrived safely and is thriving. Agata, his mum is also doing well.

We can’t thank Ella and Ziebie enough for having us to stay, enjoying Ella’s wonderful cooking often with produce from Ziebie’s garden. Sour cherry cake anyone?

The latest crop, as we left was buckets of little cornichons which everyone eats raw before they are pickled for year-round eating. We even took some on the train to eat on the way to Gdansk. The sunflowers, which just pop up somewhere in the garden (there are even renegades on the lake edge) each year, are in full bloom. Lacy hydrangeas, blue, pink and white, wave their pom pom heads in the breeze. Ella said nothing new is planted in the flower gardens in the spring. Everything just grows again after winter, which is cold enough that the lake freezes over. Can’t imagine it as it has been so hot here. Rain is needed though.

The stork’s nest has been found in the next street, atop a lamp post, complete with baby.
With grandparents and HanzoWith grandparents and HanzoWith grandparents and Hanzo

You can just see Mikey’s tail
We can watch it choosing sticks or catching fish at the edge of the lake if we sit very quietly in the kayak.

We have been following the FIFA World Cup helped in no small way by Ella’s enthusiasm. Unfortunately Poland was eliminated in the first round. The timing of games is good too, 4 and 8pm.

Ella’s sister Mariola and her husband Lucjen invited us for a very pleasant dinner on Friday night. Might have drunk too much wine, but that’s ok. Lucjen is a super gardener too. After lunch in town on Saturday we had a final BBQ by the lake with all the cousins.

There’s always a soccer game while everyone waits, even Hanzo joined in running off with the ball. Aidan and Nicholas have lots of fun playing with all the kids and can’t wait until their school finishes next week. They return to Savannah in the last week of July.

It was very sad to leave everyone on Sunday morning. I can still feel Alexander’s final hug. We don’t know when we will see them all again. We did manage to get a few photos before we left.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb