Thanksgiving in Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lower Silesian » Wroclaw
December 3rd 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving! I spent my Thanksgiving day at work... but I did enjoy some cheese pierogi and gelato in honor of the day.

It has gotten cold in Poland - We've had a few snowfalls, but nothing sticks. The sun sets at about 4 pm, which isn't exactly uplifting.

The aerial pictures of Wroclaw were taken from the top of a church bell tower on a very windy Polish Independence day (Nov. 11). Happy 90th, Poland! As it turns out, my grandmother, Dorothy "Mamaw" Trotter, is a few months older than Poland itself. Of course the Poles have been around a long time, but Russia, Germany and Austro-Hungary had their greedy hands in these lands for many moons. On the Independence day there was a strange parade - a mix of horses and motorcycles, neither very impressive. The local school children also make hundreds of nice looking posters celebrating the Independence. The posters hung in the Rynek and churches.

The last few pictures are from a Speed School party on Andrzejki Day (St. Andrew's Day). It's the last day Poles are supposed to party before Christmas. There was a good turnout of students and fun was had by all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Rubbing the bears tongue for luckRubbing the bears tongue for luck
Rubbing the bears tongue for luck

I broke a mirror a few months ago... Hopefully a rub of the bear's tongue will reverse the curse
Not sure if he ever stayed thereNot sure if he ever stayed there
Not sure if he ever stayed there

I would've slept in the Pope-mobile.
Crazy GrandmaCrazy Grandma
Crazy Grandma

This crazy Grandma was chasing after the angry birds, using her granddaughter as bait. A terrible idea.
Care packageCare package
Care package

Thanks Bex and Tiff! Please note, I have received cards and goodies from Bri Keeney, Sandy Doughman and Marie Bruening in the previous weeks/months. Thanks to all!
Schools partySchools party
Schools party

Adam, student (don't know here), and Patrycjusz. We didn't know Patrycja was only 14... and then her mom showed up.
More school partyMore school party
More school party

Sacha, Przecław (shortened name is pronounced P-shem-ek), Dan (teacher)
End of partyEnd of party
End of party

Eva and Adam


25th December 2008

Excuse me, crazy aunt Chelsea, I have seen you use my children as human shields plenty of times. The old Mima deserves a break. Haven't you heard of survial of the fittest?

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb