Zakopane, Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Zakopane
February 12th 2007
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

snowsnowsnow

!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our flight was early in the morning and obviously wasn't direct to Zakopane. We landed in Krakow and from there took a bus to Zakopane. That was a very looong & slow journey. We got to Zakopane at about 7 pm and after a successful arrival we immediately forgot about the tiredness bothering us... we were amazed by this town - it was a little bit cold though, but beautiful and white. The taxi dropped us off by the gorgeous chalet we stayed at. It was a big mountain house with about 4 or 5 apartments - we occupied one on the ground floor. It was really nice. The house was actually situated right next to the ski slides, supermarket and restaurants, there was also a small market in the area. In the evening of the first day (straight away after our arrival), we went to a restaurant to have some Polish food! We showed our English and American friends what good food really is ! We had some chicken, potatoes, pierogi (dumplings stuffed with cabbage and mushrooms), beans, sausages. Everyone enjoyed it very much.. and of course it all cost us only a few pennies!

The next day we
ZakopaneZakopaneZakopane

amazing architecture innit!
hired skis (Avery had a go at snowboarding). And the fun began. There was loads of snow and the weather was absolutely fantastic. Even though it was sunny and warm, the snow didn't melt! Perfect conditions for skiing! We challenged big and small mountains. I have to admit that Piotrus did brilliantly considering it was his first time (regular skis, he did cross country skiing before). We also went iceskating for about 2 hours and towards the end of our visit did a little bit of cross country skiing, which I have never done before and during my first minutes I found it extremely difficult! I had no idea that this sport required normal boots and thin outfits! Also, only the tops of my feet were attached to the skis which didn't make me feel stable. I could have easily broken my ankles. I fell over a couple of times, but at some point reached consistency, got confident and... loved it! Together with Piotus we managed to beat a 5 km track (Piotrek TWICE!)

On the St. Valentine's Day boys took us girls on a ride in a horse and cart, which drove us all through Zakopane, afterwards we had a lovely (fatty) dinner in a typical Polish restaurant where highlanders played mountain music - it was amazing! We all had soups for starters and a big bucket of lard (how gross is that ? ). The main meals consisted of chicken, sausages, shish kebabs and a (enormous) knuckle of pork (for Piotrek of course )!

We did a bit of shopping, got some souvenirs - such as sheep toys and 'ciupagi'. We were really glad that our English and American friends tried some Polish food, because it tastes brilliantly and is much different than fish and chips or Yorkshire puddings !

On Friday (which was our last day in Zakopane) it snowed loads! We felt sad that we had to go... on the other hand we were looking forward to something else. Piotrek together with the other two couples went to Krakow for the weekend (they visited Auschwitz, Wieliczka salt mine and a lot more), I went to see my family and friends in Warsaw.

We'll definitely do it again, but maybe in the Spring or Fall, to do a little bit of hiking !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

ZakopaneZakopane
Zakopane

our chalet! our house, in the middle of a street... our house...
b4 skiingb4 skiing
b4 skiing

ski jumpers in the background
usus
us

did lots of skiing
horse and carthorse and cart
horse and cart

boys took us on a ride on Valentine's Day :]
typical Polish restauranttypical Polish restaurant
typical Polish restaurant

fatty but tasteful food, sausages, meat and cabbage
cross country skiingcross country skiing
cross country skiing

definitely one of the most difficult winter sports - very easy to twist ankles
snowboardingsnowboarding
snowboarding

some went snowboarding, others didn't... :)
skiingskiing
skiing

massive wonderful Polish mountains, what more do you want?
ZakopaneZakopane
Zakopane

skiing - now, this is a biiiig mountain...
Polish mountainsPolish mountains
Polish mountains

pic taken by Avery
Polish mountainsPolish mountains
Polish mountains

pic taken by Avery :D


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb