Krakow – wonderful, unintelligible


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Kraków
August 2nd 2009
Published: August 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

As always, a word on transport. A sane person might safely assume that at 5 am on a Friday, an airport would be, if not an oasis of tranquillity, then certainly uncrowded. How wrong we were - Stansted was packed, heaving with Brits going away on stag dos. We spotted at least four of these groups, who had had the original idea of wearing t-shirts bearing quips like ‘Dangerous Dave’s Stag’, or some such rhetorical achievement.
Upon arrival we immediately attacked by rogue consonants. Poland has been invaded many times, and those who ransacked the place fiendishly stole all their vowels. I am going to suggest a linguistic exchange with some Polynesian islands - together they could swap vowels for some consonants and create a perfectly balanced language.
The wonderful zloty is the currency. It’s worth about 20 Zimbabwean dollars, which doesn’t get you many pounds, I can tell you. Within half an hour of getting to the city centre, we had both made purchases and whooped quietly at how cheap it was. An auspicious start!
Kazimierz, as we learned, is the Jewish quarter, which was used as the backdrop to Schindler’s list. The walls are pock-marked, by design or ill-management,
Political commentaryPolitical commentaryPolitical commentary

Very red is commies, little bit red is better, half half (Poland's flag) is just about right. Solidarity!
which gives the place a slightly haunted look. I read a potted history of the area - it is a grim, repetitive tale of growth followed by disaster. One can only hope that the current revival does not foreshadow darker things to come.
Overall impression was good. Things seem to work, but in a faintly haggard sort of way.
Our highlight was a tour of Nowa Huta, New Town, one of the world’s two completely pre-designed Soviet cities. Our guide, Mikhael, was a self-professed commie car enthusiast who drove us around in an old Nysa van, (this means ‘box with wheels’ in Polish).
Krakow has seen it all - we visited a mound of dirt (handy) that may date from the Bronze age, there are Roman ruins, the medieval Old Town is a gem (complete with massive Wawel castle), Second World War buffs can cruise Kazimierz, and Nowa Huta is a Comrade's dream. To top it all off, the steel works (Nowa Huta’s raison d’etre) are now owned by an Indian tycoon, thus handily including globalisation in Krakow’s tour of the centuries.
Our last foray into official touristdom (nothing like a good neologism) was visiting Wawel castle. The hordes were out in force, and not just yer basic tourist either - we were blessed with the company of a moustachioed muppet whose reaction when shown the ‘do not take pictures’ sign (a camera with a line through it - not rocket science) was one of bovine incomprehension. We left fairly quickly.
A word of caution, if I may. There are relatively few toilets, and they don’t have locks that say ‘occupied’, in English or Polish. This means that after waiting, you get to the loo, only to have the handle wrenched inquisitively mid-relief. Could do better.
Krakow retains a completely unblemished record apart from this minor flaw. It feels safe, it’s easy to get around and they do the basics well: coffee, beer, salads, pizzas, steak. The local food (dumplings, mostly) is tasty as well.
This was probably our favourite small-ish destination - I only found out we were going there the night before, which added to the pleasant feeling of discovery. It was a birthday present - thanks Mon!





Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

You take a left, then go to the end...You take a left, then go to the end...
You take a left, then go to the end...

... and if you hit the Vatican you've gone too far.
Argentinian beefArgentinian beef
Argentinian beef

In Poland. Obviously.
One of the zillions of cool barsOne of the zillions of cool bars
One of the zillions of cool bars

They all had their own feel, and were without exception super-cool. I can barely believe they let us in!
Standard Kazimierz frontageStandard Kazimierz frontage
Standard Kazimierz frontage

Apparently they want to keep the area in its pre-war state, to remember.
For rentFor rent
For rent

Unfurnished, good indoor-outdoor flow. Some ghost activity.
Just popping out to get some milk dearJust popping out to get some milk dear
Just popping out to get some milk dear

Do you have your gas mask on? And mind the nasty coppers! Scenes from one of the various uprisings throughout communist rule.
Our new buddy AmyOur new buddy Amy
Our new buddy Amy

She's from Australia!
This used to say 'Lenin'This used to say 'Lenin'
This used to say 'Lenin'

It's no longer 'Lenin'. Go figure...
QuestionQuestion
Question

If God is with us, who shall be against us? Quite a few people, it would seem, consdering how many times Poland gets invaded every century.
Ma main man JPMa main man JP
Ma main man JP

A surprisingly peaceful statue of Poland's greatest contemporary son
Trabi. Awesome.Trabi. Awesome.
Trabi. Awesome.

This is Eastern Europe's vehicle of choice, the laughing stock of the motoring world.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb