Gdansk, Poland --- July 20, 2011


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Greater Poland
August 25th 2011
Published: August 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Gdansk, Poland --- July 20, 2011
A large number of passengers chose to go to Stuttholf Concentration Camp and then do a quick tour of Gdansk. Over 60,000 people were killed at Stuttholf, an atrocity against humanity. We have more recent examples of this with Stalin’s starvation of the Ukraine, Cambodia. Etc. We felt that we did not need to go to the camp to see to what levels humans can sink to. So we set out for a trip into Gdansk, the home of the Solidarity movement that was responsible for the eventual overthrow of Communism in Poland. For most of its history Gdansk was primarily a German city but after World War 1 was given to Poland so that they could have access to the Baltic. One of the most remarkable things about the city is how they rebuilt it after the Second World War.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Gdansk at the end of the 2nd WWGdansk at the end of the 2nd WW
Gdansk at the end of the 2nd WW

This picture is how Gdansk looked after the 2nd WW. The following pictures show how they have rebuilt the city
ClockClock
Clock

The clock was built in the 1600's it provided the time, the lunar cycle and the month & year. The creator left Gdansk shortly after it was built and they never were able to fix it.
In MemoryIn Memory
In Memory

The statue is of a crying Christ due to the inhumanity that occured
Grain ElevatorGrain Elevator
Grain Elevator

The part of this building sticking out over a canal was used in the middle ages to lift grain fro ships and store it.


26th August 2011

Never been to Poland but always curious. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see all of these places that were a part of our history throughout the wars still were able to retain much of their heritage. Hope you have a map somewhere at home so you can push pin all the places you've been. Carry on my friends.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb