Stange and Oslo - July 16-18


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
July 18th 2010
Published: July 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Erling, Anne Kari & WarrenErling, Anne Kari & WarrenErling, Anne Kari & Warren

Having coffee in backyard
On our way to Oslo we made a stopover in the town of Stange which is an area of many large and prosperous farms - we noticed many rich looking fields of wheat, strawberries, potatoes as well as cattle, sheep and pigs. We stayed with a relative of Warren's, Anne Kari and her husband Erling Bjoertomt. Anne Kari's great-grandfather was a brother of Warren's paternal grandmother Serina. They made us feel very welcome and we had such a fun evening with them looking at family photos and talking family history and stories.

On to Oslo where we stayed at the Hotel Opera. It is time for us to add a little culture to our trip and on Sunday Anne Kari met us at or hotel with tour tickets for us to tour the new Opera House and the Royal Palace. The Opera House located on the Oslo Fjord was opened in 2008 after taking 5 years to complete. It is an extraordinary structure of marble and glass housing both opera and other cultural events and is a piece of art on its own. The guided tour gave us a glimpse of life backstage as well as learning of the many architectural features. Next was the tour of Norway's Royal Palace which is a huge structure build in 1849 and located at the end of Oslo's main street. It is the official residence of the Norwegian Monarchy, presently King Harold V and Queen Sonja. We learned a lot of the history of the Norwegian Monarchy and saw many beautiful rooms in the palace including the bedroom President Obama and wife used when they were in Oslo for the Nobel Peace Prize.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Warren, Anne Kari and JanWarren, Anne Kari and Jan
Warren, Anne Kari and Jan

Having coffee on Oslo Main Street
Royal PalaceRoyal Palace
Royal Palace

Sits at end of Main Street


19th July 2010

WOW
What a great trip for you both - especially the family meetings and information. I will be there on Thursday at 8 to pick you up unless I hear different. Can't wait to see you both. Love J

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb