Oslo


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
September 21st 2004
Published: September 21st 2004
Edit Blog Post

Had a great trip to Drangedal. Met family and visited farms too. B&B person met us at train, and then we went for a little walk, and gal comes out of a white building asking are you tourists...are you from Canada...here it was Debra Volstad who I had talked to on the phone...and who had gotten ahold of 'our' family members. Two sisters Mom's age and their cousin, are cousins of ours on the Steinsland side. We were told all of the Volstad (of ours) went to America. We had a quick shower, and then met Debra after her work and she drove us around the town and then past her farm and just down the road to our Volstad farm...now belongs to a wealthy man about 65 who loves to hunt and to invite his friends, and rich others who want to pay to hunt. Has kept the old 'food storage' house, and has added much to the house. Beautiful place, and I have pictures. Then we went to Dabra's and met husband...say like Shell, and her youngest son Jon, 13 yrs old. We has moose stew, and potatoes and broccoli, and for dessert a rice pudding...whipped cream folded into the rice, topped with strawberry sauce. Then we went to meet these ladies and crove to the Steinsland farm. Only the foundation of the house is there, with garage on top, still the cellar underneath. The house is nearby, but of course replaced. Nice young couple just moved there, and she speak very good English, and invites us back,,,to stay a longer time. Then we went to the church...there are 3 churches in the area, 2 large, and one newer small one, that I understood was a breakoff of the Lutheran. 'our' church was built in 1809 yes 1809, and still in perfect shape. Whey have added some electric lights, but look good, and it has a new roof, but really all the old original building. Graves around, but nothing as old as our family. Then we went to the home of the two sisters and they served a beautiful lunch of 2 kinds of open sandwiches and some sweet bread. We had sprite...they coffee. The one sister had copied history from a series of 6 books of all the church b.m.d. and then 'Shell' stopped at his work place to make me copy. But on the way to his office we stopped to meet his father...the one I phoned from Canada, but he couldn't speak any English. They of course took us to our B&B and said good byes. We caught train at 0720 this morning, for Oslo. Raining here so will not go to that Village, but maybe ride a city bus around until time to go to airport for Germany.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb