A Jump Ahead - Happy 4th


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Skei
July 4th 2019
Published: July 4th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Blog 8 - July 4 Happy birthday USA…
Adventures with Reidar, a walk by the North Sea with Gandolf the Great! And an evening cruise on the Fjords where we live!

Part 1 - Breakfast at Home
I awakened, well not really as I’d been awake most of the night, to the smell of coffee. Shortly thereafter we all sat down to a delicious breakfast prepared by Chef Peggy and then headed off for a little exploring before cousin Reider was due to pick us for adventures further afield. On my short bike ride after breakfast I discovered a nice little beach off a walking path where we could enjoy our Fourth of July celebration in Norway. Stay tune for the video to be posted tomorrow. You won’t be disappointed!

Part 2 - Adventures with Reidar!

Even before I met Reidar I had decided that he had to be like Radar O’Reilly on Mash. Meeting him was not a disappointment. Lois’ cousin is an awesome escort, helper and friend. He is there when need something and does all his research and has things planned and ready before you even know to ask!

Our day proceeded with a drive to the oldest church site in Norway. I love history and this was such an amazing step back into it. I wish I could have videoed and photographed in the old church. Our tour director, the docent, who was a daughter of one of Reidar’s cousins, punctuated her descriptions in the church with arias of Gregorian chants. She had an amazing voice and the old church’s acoustics were as good as any modern day concert hall! It was a treat! After her presentation of the old church we proceeded to the modern-day theater and exhibition hall carved into the rock hillside! I have recorded the tour through the exhibit and included some after tour shenanigans provided by our one and only Peggy!

From there we got to drive through the countryside. We stopped at one spot to overlook a strait that came from the North Sea and bore the family name of my friend Carol back home. I also got to talk with some friendly sheep there and it provided everyone quite a laugh when they talked back! I am a great sheep whisperer you know. Then Reidar took us across several of the long bridges that connect sections of the island so that you don’t have to wind around on the roads between the fjords. He also took us in the tunnel that goes under the North Sea. It was quite a thing to know that we were underwater… And hopping across sections of the island under the sea. Scary but exciting!

Part 3 - Another World

Later we met some cousins that Lois had heard about but never met. They invited us for coffee, which of course means open face sandwiches, pancakes with strawberry jam, sweet rolls and chocolate cake for dessert. It was hard to say what was the most delicious and it was a great cup of coffee as well. Lois’ dear Norwegian family members have treated us so well and been so kind. I know I feel quite honored to be here and to get to meet all of them.

After coffee, they took us for a walk along the coastline of the North Sea (and yes, this was just beyond their home). Lois’ one cousin is quite tall so I have likened our hike to a walk through the Lord of the Rings countryside with Gandalf the Great! This might help you get a sense for where we were walking and the raw majesty and beauty of the land we were walking on!

We hiked through alpine like heather and wild flowers while experiencing the raw power of the North Sea. The highlight of the walk was the breaking of the clouds and appearance of the sun. The walk along the sea was spectacular. Our guides/hosts were gracious and wonderful and willing to tell us about the countryside we are walking through. “Gandalf” pointed out German fisherman off the coast, a salmon farm and we walked near where a lighthouse stood watch out at sea. We also saw the home where each of Lois’ grandparents grew up.

Part 4 - Fjords and Family

After a grand time we were returned to our happy cabin in time to clean up a bit before for Jorunn Dagmar and her husband arrived to pick us up in their boat. We had a pleasant ride in their boat across the fjords to their home for dinner. Her sister Aud Karin joined us as well. We enjoyed an amazing dinner and a traditional dessert made with plums and cream and sugar. What a treat. After dinner we got to sit on the porch for a while and enjoy the sun and the scenery and good conversation. Aud Karin then gave us a ride back to our cabin and we were able to discover the difference between cutting across the water rather than having to take the long winding road around all the water back to our place.

It was a fairytale day filled with awe inspiring sites and wonderful people. I know we all feel very blessed to be here but none more than Lois! She has gotten to see many sites of the country of her ancestors and visit with family members she’s seen before and meet ones she hasn’t. What a blessing to her and what a gift to us!

Our day of playing in the water, biking and hiking is all planned for tomorrow. And remember to watch for a special 4th of July celebration video!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb