Preikestolen-The Trek


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Preikestolen
June 25th 2018
Published: June 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Trek BeginsTrek BeginsTrek Begins

Been walking perhaps half hour when an outcropping opened to the west where this picture was taken of the coast.
So, as we suggested we elect to separate the journey up to the Pulpit Rock from the actual tabletop rock itself. Here we go-departure from our fjord-side apartment occurs a bit after 9am with temperature in the 50's and overcast skies. We lament a bit the weather, yet later will be quite pleased it is neither warm nor sunny.

Bird confirms the trek begins at 9:23 as we observe essentially everyone wearing coats, warm hats etc. Are we missing something, the high should be sixty or so (at least at a coastal town two hours to the west), and we are attired in summer weight pants and short sleeve shirts. We do have light raincoats tucked away in a backpack. Undaunted, we confidently strike out. The grade quickly becomes rather steep but even, and our pace is quicker than most. As you may have surmised, perspiration is soon present, and we comment how nice there is no sun and temps are cool. We notice less experienced mountain climbers shedding their excessive clothing-we congratulate our wisdom. Gosh are we smart! Not long after, however, we encounter the first of ladder type stones laid we think by Nepalese who were hired to
LakeLakeLake

Bit further up we encountered this lake. Like we've said there are a ton of small lakes in the granite.
improve the route. Really, they did improve it, yet there are now very step sections with "steps" of two feet, yeah, two. Most sections are not nearly as "refined" and consist of stones (big damn rocks according to Bird), cracks or crevices that must be negotiated. Sure, there is an area or two, certainly not more than three, where walking is not challenged. They are just hard to recall. We previously thought Cinque Terre had difficult parts, and indeed it does, but they pale beside the Preikestolen ascent. Nonetheless, we wish you well Lu and Gary on the Italian Coast.

The Pulpit Rock was HP's idea; during the hike Bird resolved to take out a contract on her idiot husband. She is now soliciting the assassin and requests confidential replies from interested parties.

Finally, we would be remiss not to acknowledge there was also beauty and interesting aspects to this very difficult walk-we will show you pictorially. But the day in total consisted of this hike, two ferries during the drive to Bergen where we arrived at 10:00pm. So yes, the rain resulting in a short day in Bergen was not so bad.

Present time! As we
Boggy MeadowBoggy MeadowBoggy Meadow

We continue our ascent and find a meadow. There were several, both larger and smaller. All are rather boggy.
send this our location is Aurland, Norway-the middle of fjord country at 9:30 (3:30pm your time). We are in sheep barn converted to a number of guest houses. Still a working farm with the owner currently working on his tractor-yes it's very bright daylight. A couple of hundred meters to our right is a large waterfall-we'll show you later, while to the left and up the mountain Bird is looking at another waterfall. Yes, Norway is wonderful!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Gentle StepsGentle Steps
Gentle Steps

We will show you several of the fairly abrupt elevation changes. Here is one.
Another Open AreaAnother Open Area
Another Open Area

As we climb appears another open area, this time to the northwest coast.
Escalator Anyone?Escalator Anyone?
Escalator Anyone?

Still moving on up in the world. Bird not feeling the love.
Happy Bird, Not So MuchHappy Bird, Not So Much
Happy Bird, Not So Much

Bird concludes a contract will be placed on HP. She is a bit ambivalent about the contract part and is practicing choking him.
Swimming PondSwimming Pond
Swimming Pond

This pond is not terribly distant from the top. On warmer days folks cool off with a dip. There are a couple of gals at the water's edge; we don't wait to see if they hop in.
View of Norwegian RocksView of Norwegian Rocks
View of Norwegian Rocks

Much of the fjord area is similar to Yosemite as you see here.
Trek ContinuesTrek Continues
Trek Continues

Although HP's life is in jeopardy, he blissfully continues up the gentle slope.
FjordFjord
Fjord

Our first view of the fjord where Preikestolen lives. We are looking southwest. The Pulpit Rock is north of this view.
Preikestolen Within one KM.Preikestolen Within one KM.
Preikestolen Within one KM.

Bird labels this actually gentle ascent "Last of the Mohicans"-one of her favorite movies.
You Are Getting Very WarmYou Are Getting Very Warm
You Are Getting Very Warm

Perhaps even somewhat hot. Preikestolen is approximately 100 meters past the highest folks you can see. We don't know about you, but the suspense sure built for us at this point. We will show you the actual rock later-when we complete the post. It is the most amazing thing we have ever seen, well maybe except for the Colosseum, but very close to it.


Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb