Travelling to Stegastein and Flåm


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Flåm
June 4th 2023
Published: June 4th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Shelley, Kristine, and I set off from Bergen in our rental car after a sumptuous breakfast (see previous post).

We are on the E16 from Bergen to Stegastein Viewpoint and then back down to stay overnight in Flåm. I’m typing now in the car as Shelley is driving. We’ve driven through tunnels and beside towering mountains. Fast moving streams filled with fresh water cascade over the many levels of rocks - reminds me of British Columbia and some of the roadways up Between Hope and Cache Creek.

The scenery is stunning and the roads are very well maintained. The average speed is 70 km/h and sometimes 80 km/h. It’s slower when you’re going through little towns or coming up on one of the many traffic circles used here for traffic.

Arriving in Flåm we had to sort out our parking and it was tricky finding out not only where to park, but also how to get into and up to our apartment. It was finally discovered that we had to go through the gift shop and see the owners there to get our key and instructions.

The apartment was excellent. Couple of bedrooms and kitchen, balconies (plural) that overlooked the main area of Flåm where all the action was.

We enjoyed our Flåm Railway journey, and then returned to have supper at the Ægir pub.

After eating, a nice pipe was enjoyed on the balcony, and then it was time for bed and some rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

In FlåmIn Flåm
In Flåm

The apartments we rented are on the top floor of the yellow building.
Flåm RailwayFlåm Railway
Flåm Railway

All aboard!
RailwayRailway
Railway

Onboard the railway
Scenery from FlåmScenery from Flåm
Scenery from Flåm

Just one of the scenic valleys from the train leaving Flåm for Myrdal.
Kjosfossen WaterfallKjosfossen Waterfall
Kjosfossen Waterfall

The train stopped and allowed us to disembark for 5 mins to see the falls up close.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb