Bergen


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Bergen
July 21st 2009
Published: July 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well today we were in Bergen and the weather was supposed to clear up but it was cloudy most of the day with a few sprinkles but no real showers. Dennis and I took the 8 hr Queen of the Fjords tour which we both enjoyed as we had a fantastic guide. It started with a tour around Bergen which has a lot of historical houses and buildings. We then headed out to the country including a ferry crossing, stop at an old church, and on to Hardinger Fjord where we stopped at a hotel for a very nice buffet lunch. We’d all be a bit concerned since it was supposed to be a traditional lunch but there was plenty of variety and it was all very good. We then headed over to a waterfall and then back to Bergen thru the tunnels and mountains. We got back to the ship before 4. Erin and Mom took a short Panoramic tour but were not happy with it. The 2 hour tour lasted at least 15 mins less than that and the guide wasn’t even pointing things out so I’m sure the Shore Excursions office will hear from Erin.

So then it was time for Bingo and they actually had enough people to play today but no luck for the 3 of us. When the game was over it was already time to head to the Dining Room for dinner which was good as usual. Our table mates are all fun and we’re enjoying all of our dinners. We decided to hit the casino again on the way to the show but did a bit better this time. I hadn’t put any money in my pocket so Mom loaned me a 20 which I turned into 40. She put in a dollar and cashed out with 2. Now they did tell us someone won $600 on the $5 machine today so that could have been Mom’s.

Mom and I headed to the show which was a trumpet player named Gary Guthman. He was very good and played songs from the big band era, then some blues, Herb Alpert, and finally Louis Armstrong. Before the show the CD came out and before introducing him mentioned there was an error in the Daily Program for tomorrow. We will be in Kristiansund which is what it says at the top but the description underneath says Kristiansand which is a seaside resort in the south of Norway. So that made for several jokes and will be interesting to see if anyone that wasn’t at the show notices.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Mom and ErinMom and Erin
Mom and Erin

Mom and Erin on the balcony while in Lysefjord
Pulpit RockPulpit Rock
Pulpit Rock

If you look closely you'll see people on top of this rock that is shaped like a pulpit. I have a postcard that shows it from the top and its shape is more obvious there
Crooked HousesCrooked Houses
Crooked Houses

Row houses in Bergen that really are crooked it's not my camera pose
Summer CastleSummer Castle
Summer Castle

The King of Norway's summer castle in Bergen
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

What else would you call it! This was near Hardanger Fjord. You can hike upbehind the falls for a look from the other side.
TrollTroll
Troll

Erin would have felt at home at the giftshop by the waterfall in Hardanger Fjord


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb