Bergen to Oslo


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
July 23rd 2014
Published: July 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we return to the city where our tour started, back to Oslo. Our wake-up call was at 5:45 this morning with bags out by 6:30. We ate breakfast and were ready to depart promptly at 7:30. We returned to Oslo via a different route which took us through very different scenery than what we had seen going to Bergen. We went through numerous tunnels until we reached the mountain plateau. Here we encountered lakes, waterfalls, and ski resort towns such as Geilo. Biking, hiking and skiing are popular activities in Geilo.



We stopped about every hour to stretch our legs, grab a bite to eat, or for photo ops. We were treated to an ice cream by our tour director at one such stop which was on a lake with people swimming and boating enjoying the lovely weather.



Once we had returned to Oslo, the temperature was again about 90 degrees. We arrived about 5:00 and told that dinner was at 7:00 and would consist of Brie cheese, prosciutto, Salmon, potatoes and for desert an apple pie-like desert.



Since we had some time to spare, Patsy, Annelle, Sharyn and I decided to go check out the Ice Bar that we had been hearing about. Though it was only a few minutes away, we had to ask a couple of people for directions. It wasn’t easily discernible from the outside, but once inside we paid our admission fee which included a free drink, we donned parkas and gloves for entrance into the bar. It was not very large, but had some wonderful ice sculptures and etching into the ice. We were presented our drinks and took photos. We asked the bartender how long her shift was and she said that the employees take turns selling tickets and actually being in the ice bar handing out drinks. We were told that when the cruise ships are in port that there are as many as 80 people at one time in the bar. We were the only ones in on this day. The Ice Bar had just recently opened in April and I wonder how it will do in the winter. It was fun and we were glad we took the time to do it along with the fact it had a nice cooling effect.



Back at the hotel we gathered for dinner. It was a sit-down dinner which was very nice. Although the buffet from last week was very good this was more elegant and we enjoyed it very much



We said goodbye to 3 of our fellow travelers as their tour ends in Norway. Tomorrow it is on to Gothenburg, Sweden.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Along the mountain plateau.Along the mountain plateau.
Along the mountain plateau.

Very different scenery along this route.
Many lakes along the way.  Many lakes along the way.
Many lakes along the way.

This is where we had our ice cream complements of our tour director.


24th July 2014

The pictures were beautiful today. It's interesting to hear that you went from seeing glaciers to 90 degree weather. The ice bar looked like fun. We enjoyed all the pictures. Have fun in Sweden.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb