City of Canals


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
December 12th 2014
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.3738, 4.89095

On our arrival to Amsterdam airport, we took the train to the centraal station which took about 15 Min's which was v straight forward avoiding the traffic. From the station our hotel, the Renaissance hotel was only 5 mins walk, we chose this hotel for its central location. To avoid the queues and save time, we bought the museum tickets and the 48 hours transport pass from tourist office opposite the station. After the check in at the hotel we headed straight to Rijksmuseum by tram.




The Rijksmuseum is an amazing museum and has some masterpieces by Rembrandt and Vermeer. There are also lot of artefacts which are charms from the Dutch shipping and trade, glory days. It was wonderful to see this beautiful collection and you can easily spend few hours here admiring the pieces. The Library is a must see and the halls, pillars were lovely.

The Classic Night Watch was breathtaking and great way to finish our self-guided tour. We enjoyed our visit to Rijks. We took pictures outside of I Amsterdam and went for a walk near the canals which was well lighted up due to Christmas decorations.











Then it was time for our evening cruise which was amazing and must do to see Amsterdam.We took the longer cruise which was great way to see the city in a different perspective way. We cruised through the Amsterdam canals, bridges passing most of the places which look lovely, lighted at the evening time. The guide was fantastic and gave us interesting commentary and details about the city, its canals and different neighbourhoods. It was very enjoyable and relaxing experience.

We were hungry so we took the tram to Leidseplein to go to Cafe Alto on the square which has live Jazz every night but the music was starting late that evening so we decided to go to Peppino next door where we had hot soup. pizza, garlic bread which was really nice, the service was excellent and we headed back to centre. You cannot come to Amsterdam and not say Hi to the lovely ladies at the red light district. So we took a walk there, which was very interesting and then we headed back to hotel. It was a long day but Amsterdam is a very vibrant city and we were so pleased that we had chosen a central hotel.









Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb