Delirium in Orange


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
October 11th 2006
Published: October 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

It's a boat, it's a castle, it's Amsterdam!It's a boat, it's a castle, it's Amsterdam!It's a boat, it's a castle, it's Amsterdam!

This picture captures all Amsterdam has to offer except drugs, tulips, prostitutes, and cheese
On the way to Kenya, we had a 14 hour layover in Amsterdam. Our coworker Robert had told us of the shift system in the red light district - as one might imagine, mornings are not ideal working hours for the attractive Ladies of the Night. So, our first order of business was to see the phenominon for ourselves - the elusive 7am prostitute. We were having trouble actually finding the street until we were directed by a nice young British women on her way to class. As we walked trough the district observing the many young dredded out hippies rolling joints at 8am, a woman made eyes at Rick from her booth. This caused him to literally jump and break into a brisk walk over to the next street. Aparently, thinking about it still gives him the "willies."

We were not so adept at reading maps so we spent the next few hours casually walking around the city center, mostly lamenting the lack of bike culture in Atlanta compared to Amsterdam and discussing how much cooler our bikes are. We ate some cheese and nearly fell asleep at the Van Gogh museum (aparently pronounced Van Gocht). Really, though the
The H4The H4The H4

This man is 8' tall
people are freakishly large, it is a beautiful city with many grassy areas for napping. I'm still confused by the traffic patterns, but I would love to be able to boat to work.

On a side note, said Lady of the Night...er Morning was still in her window when we wandered past the drunken football fans on our way back to the train station at 4pm. Chilling.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Canal boatsCanal boats
Canal boats

From the US government's response to Katrina, you might be shocked to find out that there is a major city in Europe located below sea level...
OrangeOrange
Orange

Aparently the Dutch love orange because their royal family is called the House of Orange. Crazy literalists. Anyway, this kid is cute, needs a belt.


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb