Cowes to Brighton – 48nm
BIG day!! We were going to just go to Chichester and have a late start to stay with the tides. However when I got back from my shower, Phil had just received an email from Kealoah and they were going to stay at Brighton that night….so off we set – departure 1030. Straight away and wouldn’t you know it…the wind didn’t do as it was supposed to, the current did a bit, but not as strong as we’d hoped and it was a long slow slog into Brighton, finally arriving at 2030. The last bit was a tad worrisome due to not being able to see crab pots, but we made it in just fine, and tied up alongside. Time for a relax and a quick drink. Mike and Cate weren’t on board, but their steps were down so we assumed they were out for dinner. I had had an Avomine as I was feeling a bit queezy earlier on, so was feeling tired and had just said to Phil…I’ll give them 15 more mins, then I’m going to bed. Of course..10mins later, they arrive back with Rob and
Jo from Cyclone. We were introduced to Rob and Jo on Kealoaha, but I did warn them all that I wouldn’t be staying long. After catching up for a bit, I said I was good to go, Rob and Jo had an early start in the morning, so they also left. I think Phil was a bit tired as he came back not long after.
Slow start to the morning…coffee in bed, catching up on news from home. Went to check out chandlery and on the way back I went to get subway for lunch and Phil went back to the boat. (which incidentally subway costs US$6 over there and £5.95 here) however, just before I got to the subway, a little shop was having a clearance store…50%!o(MISSING)ff…and there was a handbag going cheap. Finally, I could throw out my old one that I’d been hanging on to….I’d already cut out the ripped inner lining and then the last straw…the zip broke…no security there! So armed with new handbag and subway sandwich I returned to boat….just in time for coffee on Kealoah.
Pippa came down and ended up staying for dinner that we had with KEaloah up at the witherspoons pub. Great catching up with Pippa again and chatting and reminiscing about our trip IN 13/14. A good night, but not too late as we had an early start in the morning
Brighton to Eastbourne – 21nm
An early start, alarm at 0600, departed by 0630, no wind but lots of current, so and easy passage of just over 3 hrs and we were entering into the lock at Eastbourne. We had just missed the 0930 lock opening, so tied up in the lock, eye-balled our pontoon and waited till 1000 for the next opening. We got fuel, then into our berth. Rest of the day spent doing jobs…beautiful sunny day, good for servicing winches up on deck. That night Jo and Rod (cyclone) came over for drinks which then morphed into bbq dinner (lucky we had bbq meat from the other night we’d planned with Cate and Mike) and a good evening sitting around chatting. By the looks of the weather we might be here for
a couple of days
Eastbourne to Breskens – 136nm
Early start to have the tide with us – the plan was to go up to Dover and then head across the channel tomorrow. However, as the day wore on, the tide was stronger and we were flying at 8kts. We got to Dover and were still going strong. We didn’t want to lose the current, the weather was predicted to be fine (but to get worse in the coming days) and so we decided to continue across the channel and head for Breskens. We didn’t have any wind so had to motor the whole way, the crossing of the channel was done just on dusk, but was easy once more and then we had a channel to follow all the way to Breskens. It was a very COLD night though. Phil did most of the night on watch except for a couple short hour breaks occasionally. I was awake most of the night with him but down below trying to stay warm, making hot chocolate, and other hot beverages for the Skipper. Finally we were heading
up to Breskens, the sun was coming up, and then, the tide turned and we were doing 2kts for the last couple of hours. We thought we’d have a hot shower, but as the showers were undergoing repairs, I decided against it. I was so cold, I didn’t want to walk up there in the cold, have a warmish shower with little pressure and a cold walk back I decided against it.
Customs did not come down the boat until the afternoon, so we were pretty much stuck all day. We got our passports stamped and were all sorted. Still is was nice to snooze a bit after no sleep the night before. If we had thought about it a bit more, we may have decided to go across the other side to Vlissingen, but we didn’t think of it at the time.
Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0084s; 1; m:saturn w:www (18.104.22.168); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.2mb