Day on the coast at Scheveningen Netherlands


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Wassenaar
July 25th 2010
Published: July 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Duck familyDuck familyDuck family

on the campsite
We decided against a visit to The Hague as possibly a bit complicated without a good map to find our way there and back again. Instead went to the coast for the day to the local resort of Schevinengen, only 5 km away from the campsite so easy scooter trip. Ha. We are confused by the bike culture here. The roads are cobbled and plastered with cycle route signs, so many that we cannot see wood for trees. Can we go down this road or not ? Is it only for cyclists ? After 20 minutes, including a few on the busy A44 dual carriageway which I did not like, surprise, we were back outside the campsite again.
Second attempt did get us to the coast and that was culture shock. Great Yarmouth, Netherlander style. Miles of soft golden sand with sand dunes behind, a promenade lined with shops selling hats, beach wear and souvenirs, a big pier with a bungee jump at the end and lining the back of the beach a hundred very tempting bars, cafes and restaurants. These were especially of note as they were all beautifully and brightly decorated and the seats tended to be lovely big
ScheveningenScheveningenScheveningen

Beach resort on a cloudy day
squishy sofas with cushions to tempt you to stay awhile.
The sea was not for swimming and there were lots of signs to say so, that there are strong currents. There were a few people jumping the waves here and there but there were also lifeguards with big whistles.
We thought we were going to get wet as the sky was pretty dark most of the time we were there with some nasty rain clouds just poised and waiting to drop. Surprisingly we only got spat upon and we did have a lovely walk along the sands.
We chose a nice looking café at the back of the beach, sunk into a comfy chair and had a really tasty lunch with drinks for less than €20.
It was much easier getting back to the campsite and we didn’t get lost once. I had the long swim I had promised myself and the pool was every bit as pleasant it looked. Warm too which was good as weather is definitely not as summery as of late. Now back to more normal mid-summer weather I think after those few weeks of super sun.
Tomorrow will be the last stop of the trip at Calais so we will leave the Netherlands, cross Belgium and then to France.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

ScheveningenScheveningen
Scheveningen

scenc view from the pier


Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 30; qc: 157; dbt: 0.162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb