Magic First Day in Holland


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Schiedam
April 25th 2009
Published: April 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi All

We made it!!!

Flight to Holland was only 45 minutes. Somehow they managed to feed us a meal and coffee between the 2 seat belt signs. It probably would have been easier to feed us on the ground in Holland. Flight time is only 45 minutes but I think at Schiphol Airport they land in Belgium and then drive - the BA pilot did warn us!!

Once on the ground we waited for our baggage -and waited and waited. Just starting to get worried when the only item we trusted to the airline gods appeared.

Hennie and Annemeike were waiting for us. It was so great to see them again - I know, I have to say this as they can read this blog, but it really was!! It feels like we have known them for ever.

Because of the heavy traffic on the freeways we took a short cut through the Dutch country side. Just beautiful. Narrow lanes, bikes, canals, bikes, windmills, and a few bikes. In Holland if you hit a cyclist you are immediately considered the one to be in the wrong - perhaps both sides actually know the rules, unlike Australia!

During the drive we went through the "Loch List" This is the official list of places to see and written down in Dutch by Neet's dad.

We got to Heinne and Annemeikes home, had a coffee and some of Annameikes cheese cake - recommended to all visitors!! Willie dropped in for a chat and we met Stephan for the first time. He admitted he may need extra time to tune into our accents.

Sylvia dropped by - great to see her, John was off finding a bomb, in a shipping container - turned out to be several bombs headed for somewhere.

As it was getting close to 7.00pm we decided to go to Den Haag - which you have to say like you are clearing your throat. Den Haarrgcccchh!! Much laughter in the back seat teaching us the Dutch. For those of you who don't know, the English translation is "The Hague" - the home of the International Court of Justice where a few war criminals are currently locked up there awaiting trial.

The Den Haarrgcccchh is really pretty. The North Sea was flat - not a single wave! The sand was what you
Dee HaagDee HaagDee Haag

We built a small sand castle
would expect in Australia and the beach is lined with all these temporary great cafes and bars - on the beach. They are actually built on the beach and are taken down at the end of each summer. Not what you would expect in Holland.

I will write more and post the photos later - must go.

Pete and Neet


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb