Reunion in Rotterdam!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » South Holland » Rotterdam
March 15th 2014
Published: March 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

So landed back from my trip to Korea and finished at 3pm. Then had to run to another terminal to meet my friend for our little holiday to Rotterdam at 3.30pm. What a rush, don't know why I do this to myself! I was off to Rotterdam for 2 nights to stay with one of my Dutch friends, called Michelle, that I had lived with in a hostel in Sydney when I was travelling Australia 3 years ago. Was meant to be a sort of big reunion with more people but only me and one of my friends from London could make it. We have had a few reunions in London, and Amsterdam couple of years ago. Just so nice that most of us still keep in touch. So anyways, we had a fun girls weekend. Michelle met us at Rotterdam's Central Station about 8pm. First impressions of the city is that it looks really modern, new buildings and quite quiet. Such a contrast to Amsterdam. We got taken firstly to the local kebab shop and got treated to a traditional Dutch dish of Kapsalon Kip. This is chips, kebab meat, cheese, garlic sauce, tomatoes, onion, lettuce etc all grilled in the oven and it is amazing! Not sure about how good it is for the body mind you, but don't care as tasted far to good. We headed to Michelle's apartment. She studies here and lives in student accommodation with about 5 other people. Such a cool wee pad and amazing location looking into the river and Willemsbrug bridge. They have a roof top terrace aswell, and to top it off you are greeted with a lights on the door calling it 'Pirates Bay.' I miss being a student! So we got all ready, some vino, music on..., and one of Michelle's friends came over and joined us on night out. We walked into the centre area and went to a club called Perron. Was quirky little place with graffiti inside and you got lockers to put your stuff in which is so much better than having to wait in a queue at a cloakroom. Was a techno night that was on, love it! Music was amazing, we literally did not stop dancing until it closed at 6am. Everyone was so friendly too and met some nice people. The Dutch definitely do love a good party. Headed back to Michelle's for our own little after party! Such an amazing night. The next day was a bit of a wright off. We just walked to the river nearby and got some lunch. Was lively little cute restaurant where you got to sit outside and was really busy as the weather was great. Afterwards we got the metro to Braus, central area, had a walk and got couple drinks. Then just had a nice girls night in with pizza, vino and a movie. We ended up sleeping for about 11hours, obviously finding it harder to deal with these wild partying nights! On our last day Michelle took us to a really nice Dutch restaurant and had traditional Dutch cuisine. We had a lunch deal with soup, Dudok croquette, bread and mustard - delicious! Was pretty full but I had to try the Dudok Apple Pie. It is apparently meant to be the best apple pie in the world, and boy did it live up to its reputation! So good! Making my mouth water just thinking about it. It was St Paddys day so we did what would anyone on their holidays would do and spent the afternoon in an Irish Bar. Was good fun and the bar staff gave us some St Paddys attire headwear to get into the spirit. Love how everywhere around the world celebrates this day. Three years ago I was in Byron Bay in Australia for it, then two years ago was in Vegas, last year LA and this year obviously Rotterdam. And I have to say each place has been equally as fun. Same, same but different. We then headed back, got our stuff and said our goodbyes to Michelle and headed to airport to fly home to London. She was a great hostess and hopefully be back again soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb