Bikes, Bikes, Bikes!


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Street with bikesStreet with bikesStreet with bikes

No space for a garage, or money for a car? Just use a bike and travel anywhere, anytime for much less!

How the Dutch do it


Save money and the environment at the same time, that is!

The Dutch bike everywhere. Of course, it helps that the country is flat, flat, flat. And, this passion for biking is helped along by the terrible traffic, impossible parking and high cost of fuel. Not to mention the lovely scenery and favorable traffic laws. Apparently, if you hit a bicyclist with your car, you are automatically at fault. This looming liability really raises one's awareness while driving. For instance, along most roads, there is a second 'voetpad" or footpad, used by walkers and bikers. In some areas, there are 3 roads, one for autos, one for bikes and a third for walkers. Thus, one quickly learns not only to look both ways before crossing, but to look at least 3 times both ways.

The bikers can seem to come out of no where. You're lucky to get a little ring/ding warning before they bear down upon you, hell bent on running you over. Look lively and be prepared to jump out of the way.

But, be careful that you don't jump onto the grass borders that line most of these picturesc byways.
Bikes outside tavernBikes outside tavernBikes outside tavern

Don't drink and drive, but is it illegal to drink and ride?
Since dog owners here pay a special tax, they feel no obligation whatsoever to pick up after their pets. "Let the county do it, don't we pay for it already?" Thus, 'dog bombs' are a constant threat to anyone foolish enough to walk on the grass. Since dogs are a well loved companion to many, to walk across any grass area is to invite an odiferous and unwanted substance to accompany you henceforth. Forced to walk across a grass pathway? Be prepared to dance your way across, choosing your steps as carefully as any ballerina ón-pointe.

But, putting these perils aside, walking or biking anywhere in the Netherlands can be a rewarding experience. Even watching those doing the biking can be fun, since you'll see the gamet of characters: Children going to school on colorful bicycles with matching side bags, housewives with their groceries firmly stowed in handle baskets, businessmen with their leather briefcases, chic business women in stockings, skirt and high heels, teenagers in gaggling groups, old folks meandering home. People even transport the most unlikely things: today I saw one young fellow with his new exercise machine strapped to his trusty bike! Only in the Netherlands do you also get such a wide variety of speciality bikes. Here's a few of my favorites. Just remember to look out for bikes when you drive. Let's share the road with those courageous enough to bike in the US, where there are no special paths or advantageous traffic laws. Be sure to check not just for oncoming cars, but for oncoming bikes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bike with ivyBike with ivy
Bike with ivy

How long has it been chained here?
The latest modelThe latest model
The latest model

Chained here since 1962
Can't steal the whole bike?Can't steal the whole bike?
Can't steal the whole bike?

Just steal the wheel!
Big enough for twinsBig enough for twins
Big enough for twins

Since they won't fit on the back, carry them in front. Also large enough for several bags of cement.
Bike parking lotBike parking lot
Bike parking lot

Outside Amsterdam's central trainstation


29th May 2009

How Fun!
Hi Connie! I'm just now having the time to catch up on your blogs. Love, love, love the pics and it sounds as if you are having so much fun. Keep sharing--it's awesome. Blessings to you!
29th May 2009

Thanks for this!
Constance, I really enjoyed this post! You write well, and your observations are both amusing and vivid. We need more bike riding in Texas! Sadly, it is quite dangerous to try it here. The drivers are oblivious to you and the crosswalks and signals unreliable. I hope it will change soon.
30th May 2009

Fun reading
Connie! You write so well, you should write about your travels professionally. Loved the photos and reading your thoughts.
4th June 2009

I believe US is the only country that people do/can not take advantage of bicycles due to city traffic and vast land. Tokyo, Osaka, Beijing, Shanghai, Ho Chi Min City, Hanoi, and various cities in Italy and Spain were filled with bicycles and motorbikes. I have not been to Holland yet. Now I must visit after I get a job and save enough money for the trip! I love your picture of bicycles. So artistic! Looking forward to reading more of your adventure.

Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb